RIP Nelson Mandela

Re: RIP Nelson Mandela

Postby WildSimba » December 6th, 2013, 12:51 am

[quote="Woeler"][quote="WildSimba"][quote="Woeler"]Did someone say hero?[/quote]

You do understand that it was a tyrannical government and he was trying to stop that, right?[/quote]
And that would have been fine by me if they didn't actually kill hundreds of innocent people to prove that they were serious. Killing racist militia of the South-African Appartheid state was fine by me, but killing innocent people to prove a point, no, that I cannot call good. Just like I despise 9/11, I despise the MK murders.[/quote]

It's human nature. Sometime innocent lives are taken in the process of the wars we have. We're talking a tyrannical government where many of innocent people are killed in the process of their leadership. I don't think violent protest is the answer necessarily, but I think with the state that South Africa was in at that point, it was justified. Why do you always point out the bad things people did? Why can't you acknowledge the fact that he saved and freed many of people in the process of his actions? You don't think a guy who freed many and many of people is a hero?

Would you want thousands of people to suffer over the lives of a few innocent people?
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby TheLionPrince » December 6th, 2013, 12:52 am

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Despite his violent actions as a young resistance militant and communist sympathies during the last years of the Cold War, it still doesn't take away he advocated non-violence and human rights in his later years and fathered South Africa into a country. Requiescat in pace, Nelson Mandela!
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Woeler » December 6th, 2013, 1:27 am

[quote="WildSimba"]It's human nature. Sometime innocent lives are taken in the process of the wars we have. We're talking a tyrannical government where many of innocent people are killed in the process of their leadership. I don't think violent protest is the answer necessarily, but I think with the state that South Africa was in at that point, it was justified. Why do you always point out the bad things people did? Why can't you acknowledge the fact that he saved and freed many of people in the process of his actions? You don't think a guy who freed many and many of people is a hero?

Would you want thousands of people to suffer over the lives of a few innocent people?[/quote]

If you want an answer, I'll give it to you in pm. People might get upset again about me having a controversial opinion.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » December 6th, 2013, 7:44 am

I think this is a bit disrespectful. If you want to argue about it go to PMs.

Anyway, rest in peace. He'll forever be remembered for the work he did for his people. Thoughts and feelings are with his family.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby WildSimba » December 6th, 2013, 8:54 am

[quote="AmyMarie"]I think this is a bit disrespectful. If you want to argue about it go to PMs.

Anyway, rest in peace. He'll forever be remembered for the work he did for his people. Thoughts and feelings are with his family.[/quote]

I certainly wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I was pointing out the fact that I felt Woeler was being disrespectful. I think the work that he did for his people was great.

I don't care what anyone says, I think he was a hero to his people and he should be respected for the great things he did and not the few extreme things he did in order to take down the Tyranny.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby DGFone » December 6th, 2013, 10:35 am

May he rest in peace.

Woeler. no human can ever be perfect. I know that it' much more politically correct to believe Hollywood and say that Mandela came up with nonviolence all on his own with inspiration from a poem. I also think that he later moved to a peaceful protest when he saw how useless a violent uprising was, as it gave the South African government legitimacy in calling him evil when he was a leader of that group.

But just as he was responsible for some evil actions, he is also much more responsible for human greatness. No human is perfect, so we can ignore people's misdeeds, or shun them for it. Or, as I think we should, is to look at what they did as a whole and decide: were they more good, or bad? I think we can all agree that even with his hostile actions, in the end, Mandela is a role model human.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Meskhenet » December 7th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Rest in peace Nelson Mandela! :cry: You deserve a nice long rest for all you've done for the citizens of South Africa.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby EdtheHyena » April 21st, 2014, 10:21 pm

He was a true hero to the world. May he be forever remembered.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Previous

Return to The Den