Legal Voting Age

What do you think?

The age should be lowered to 16 for those who want to vote.
23%
It should stay the same.
54%
It should be increased.
15%
I don't care.
8%

Total votes : 13

Re: Legal Voting Age

Postby Regulus » November 13th, 2013, 9:07 pm

A diplomademocracy could work in neither the USA nor the UK without major changes. This is based strictly in theory.

If all people have the right to vote, what about those who are actually mentally retarded? If I can't read, write, or count to 10, should I truly have a say in how my country functions?

It's the same idea.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 9:07 pm

^ Not everybody is academic. It doesn't mean they are not intelligent. I've always been a great reader, but I struggled with education because of my learning difficulties and I got bored easily. Academic life was not for me. I'm insulted by anyone who suggests this means I can't form an informed opinion on what is right for my country, a country I contribute to!

In the UK, voting is not mandatory, so people who are ignorant of politics don't vote any way. I DO vote, because I want my opinions to count.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 13th, 2013, 9:12 pm

[quote="Regulus"]
If all people have the right to vote, what about those who are actually mentally retarded? If I can't read, write, or count to 10, should I truly have a say in how my country functions?[/quote]

If they can't do any of those things they physically wouldn't be able to vote. I think that's a bit different then just not having a degree.

You need to write a name on a bit of paper yourself, I think. I'm not sure if you can have someone do it for you.
Last edited by UncoordinatedPisces on November 13th, 2013, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 9:15 pm

[quote="Regulus"]
If all people have the right to vote, what about those who are actually mentally retarded? If I can't read, write, or count to 10, should I truly have a say in how my country functions?

It's the same idea.[/quote]

OK then, here's an idea -

To have the right to vote, you have to pass a simple test to show you have a basic knowledge of politics and the country? Anybody who can pass said test can vote.

BTW Reg, an illiterate person isn't necessarily incapable of intelligent thought and opinion.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » November 13th, 2013, 9:26 pm

It's different, but only because it's an exaggeration. The same concept still applies.

A mentally retarded person isn't aware of politics. They are incapable of making such decisions, so it's best not to let them.

But, my point is this: why do we think we're any different? Can we truly make decisions that benefit ourselves and our society? Do we really even know what's best for us?

Who are we to say that we're smart enough to vote?

We all think we are, because we're so heavily invested in our opinions and our egotistical senses of self won't let us question what we think. But, be honest. Do you really have any idea what you're talking about, when it comes to politics? I'm not going to lie--I sure don't, a lot of the time. I pretend to, but I don't.

I'm not just talking about minors. I'm referring to every human on this planet, including myself. After all, only two things are infinite, and one of them is human stupidity. We all know it's true.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 9:30 pm

[quote="Regulus"]

Who are we to say that we're smart enough to vote?

We all think we are, because we're so heavily invested in our opinions and our egotistical senses of self won't let us question what we think. But, be honest. Do you really have any idea what you're talking about, when it comes to politics? I'm not going to lie--I sure don't, a lot of the time. I pretend to, but I don't.

I'm not just talking about minors. I'm referring to every human on this planet, including myself. After all, only two things are infinite, and one of them is human stupidity. We all know it's true.[/quote]

Exactly! So your degree will make no difference to your ability to vote.
Si-Amber

Postby Tsuki » November 13th, 2013, 9:34 pm

[quote="Si Targaryen"]^ Not everybody is academic. It doesn't mean they are not intelligent. I've always been a great reader, but I struggled with education because of my learning difficulties and I got bored easily. Academic life was not for me. I'm insulted by anyone who suggests this means I can't form an informed opinion on what is right for my country, a country I contribute to!

In the UK, voting is not mandatory, so people who are ignorant of politics don't vote any way. I DO vote, because I want my opinions to count.[/quote]

^This. I agree with everything Si is saying here and he is making a lot of sense.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Regulus » November 13th, 2013, 10:06 pm

[quote="Si Targaryen"]So your degree will make no difference to your ability to vote.[/quote]

Then that's where we disagree.

In my opinion, nothing is more important than an education.

[quote="Si Targaryen"]Not everybody is academic. It doesn't mean they are not intelligent.[/quote]

In regard to most cases from my own personal experiences, I am inclined to disagree.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 10:08 pm

[quote="Regulus"][quote="Si Targaryen"]So your degree will make no difference to your ability to vote.[/quote]

Then that's where we disagree.

In my opinion, nothing is more important than an education.

[quote="Si Targaryen"]Not everybody is academic. It doesn't mean they are not intelligent.[/quote]

In regard to most cases from my own personal experiences, I am inclined to disagree.[/quote]

As a non-academic college drop-out, who knows his intelligence, I disagree with your disagreement. :P
Si-Amber

Postby Carl » November 13th, 2013, 10:09 pm

The funny thing is, in the US, universities were first founded in order to educate potential voters so they could make better decisions, and now, this country's voters are making very poor choices, especially the South, where my state has only 16% of the population going into college and only 20% of those 16% will graduate.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

PreviousNext

Return to The Den