Legal Voting Age

What do you think?

The age should be lowered to 16 for those who want to vote.
23%
It should stay the same.
54%
It should be increased.
15%
I don't care.
8%

Total votes : 13

Legal Voting Age

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 12th, 2013, 8:05 pm

I've recently found out that the British government have been debating whether to lower the voting age from 18 to 16 years of age. I just wondered what you guys on here think about it ^^

Personally, I would like to be able to vote earlier because politics interests me and I want a say in who runs my country x3 A lot of people where I live don't really care about the government, and I can see why some older people think that teenagers are oblivious haha.
Last edited by UncoordinatedPisces on November 13th, 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Re: Legal Voting Age

Postby juhouh » November 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Many people at age of 16 thinks they know a lot of politics and stuff. They've been thinking about lowering the voting age here in Finland too and I'm quite against of it... 2 years isn't a long time to wait
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Woeler » November 12th, 2013, 8:54 pm

They shouldn't. Just. No.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby KingCub » November 12th, 2013, 8:56 pm

I think its a good idea! I feel like in this day in age, people are begging to think and stay to live on there own at a younger age then ever before. I mean, I would not mind voting at the age of 17. Im living here, so why should I not get a say it who runs it?
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby juhouh » November 12th, 2013, 9:07 pm

^ After you get older you will understand it wasn't a great idea at all. I though it would be nice too when I was 16. My political views are totally different now
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Postby FlipMode » November 12th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Thing is, for every 16 year old who does know what their political views are (in the UK), there are a thousand who don't have a clue... Heck, they probably don't even know that people actually DO vote in this country lol.
That said, I don't really care tbh. I don't support any of the major parties anyway. But I didn't figure out my political beliefs properly until I was about 20 / 21 so I could argue that at 16, even if people think they know what they want, they probably still don't, not truly.

So I'll say no, however if it does come to pass then I won't really be bothered anyway :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Woeler » November 12th, 2013, 9:33 pm

[quote="KingCub"]I think its a good idea! I feel like in this day in age, people are begging to think and stay to live on there own at a younger age then ever before. I mean, I would not mind voting at the age of 17. Im living here, so why should I not get a say it who runs it?[/quote]
Because many young people don't know [censored] about politics. Now as an 18-yearold I might not say that, but I study politics at a university, which I think gives me a free-pas on this one.

Politics is not something everyone should be fiddling around with.

I think I'm even going one step further. Voting age up to 21 and one can only vote if one has a college degree (or higher).(of course that only goes for societies in which the government actually pays for education, otherwise this idea would be completely ridiculous)
Last edited by Woeler on November 12th, 2013, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Postby juhouh » November 12th, 2013, 9:40 pm

I wouldn't mind of rising the voting age but c'mon... Higher level of education doesn't make anyone smarter
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Postby Woeler » November 12th, 2013, 9:42 pm

[quote="juhouh"]I wouldn't mind of rising the voting age but c'mon... Higher level of education doesn't make anyone smarter[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it does... That's why it's called higher level education.
Woeler

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 12th, 2013, 9:51 pm

[quote="Woeler"][quote="juhouh"]I wouldn't mind of rising the voting age but c'mon... Higher level of education doesn't make anyone smarter[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it does... That's why it's called higher level education.[/quote]

It widens your knowledge on the subject you have chosen to take, not on real life and soceity.

My parents couldn't afford to go to University, but they have common sense, logic, and personally I think that's all you need to vote. You don't need to know everything about politics to vote. You just need common sense and basic information of what each party is talking about.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Next

Return to The Den