Legal Voting Age

What do you think?

The age should be lowered to 16 for those who want to vote.
23%
It should stay the same.
54%
It should be increased.
15%
I don't care.
8%

Total votes : 13

Re: Legal Voting Age

Postby InsaneSeagull » November 13th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Honestly, I don't really care. I've never been interested in politics, and my "will" to vote would have been the same now (I'm 18), and two years ago. Honestly, I don't even think 18 year - olds are old enough for voting, so - I would increase.

But again, it's really not my domain.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby DGFone » November 13th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Here is a very clear reason why I don't trust 16 year-olds to run a country. After all, look at what happens when they try to make a political statement:

DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Woeler » November 13th, 2013, 11:04 pm

[quote]Not everybody is academic. It doesn't mean they are not intelligent.[/quote]
In a state in which education is free, yes denying it is at the least an unintelligent decision. A good education is the foundation of human progression on both scientific and moral fields. Literally nobody is off worse by getting a decent education for FREE.

[quote="AmyMarie"]Everyone is entitled to those things, and the right to vote.[/quote]
Says who? Only modern democrats say so (and by democrats I am not referring to the American leftwing party, but to Democratic political philosophers). Even the inventors of democracy, the Athenians said that in order to vote one needed to be male, free and educated. (No, I don't like sexism and slavery)

It is, of course politically incorrect to speak of democracy as 'bad', but to be honest: it sucks. Nothing gets done, politicians constantly need to make agreements and it creates a huge amount of diversity. I mean look at Singapore, they are doing great, people are happy. Weird thing? Singapore is a dictatorship. Life expectancy is a stunning 81.2, GDP is 1.2x that of the US and on the HDI they score a mindblowing 9 out of 10.

nonrelevant stuff: show
[quote="Si Targaryen"]^ So only academic people are intelligent? OK.

Seems an education is no barrier to ignorance.[/quote]
I have not once mentioned the word 'intelligence', neither did I say anyone is 'less intelligent'. I get it, you're offended by my opinion because you dropped out of college.
That is
1. not a reason for me to change my opinion
2. actually not so much a reason to be offended
2. no reason to call me ignorant. The form of state I am proposing has existed for decades, if it were ignorant it would have been taken down decades ago.

So you called me ignorant just to call me ignorant, which I've just proven I'm not. So you either want to quit debating me or you're giving up.I don't mind which one it is, but doing it this way isn't really mature, is it?
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 11:12 pm

In the 13 years since I left education I've learned more about the world then I ever did when I was there.

So we'll just have to disagree.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby DGFone » November 13th, 2013, 11:13 pm

[quote="Si Targaryen"]In the 13 years since I left education I've learned more about the world then I ever did when I was there.
[/quote]

So would you allow yourself to vote 13 years ago? I don't think it's age that's the issue, but mostly sheer exposure to how the world works. And if you ask me, 16 year olds don't have enough exposure yet.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Si-Amber » November 13th, 2013, 11:19 pm

^ I was old enough to vote 13 years ago, so yes. Am I more informed now? Yes. Are there 16 year olds studying politics that are more knowledgeable than I was when I first voted? I'm pretty sure.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby Tora » November 14th, 2013, 4:04 am

My take is that if you're old enough to serve your country. You are old enough to vote. So it should remain the same.
Tora
Never Forget

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 14th, 2013, 7:35 am

[quote="Woeler"]
[quote="AmyMarie"]Everyone is entitled to those things, and the right to vote.[/quote]
Says who?[/quote]

Says me. Just a personal opinion.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Tsuki » November 14th, 2013, 10:15 pm

[quote="AmyMarie"][quote="Woeler"]
Says who?[/quote][/quote]

And me.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Woeler » November 14th, 2013, 10:33 pm

[quote="Tsuki"]And me.[/quote]

[quote="Woeler"]Says who? Only modern democrats say so[/quote]
That's not ''and you'', that's ''including you''.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

PreviousNext

Return to The Den