Ridiculous Religion vs Absurd Atheism

Re: Ridiculous Religion vs Absurd Atheism

Postby WildSimba » August 11th, 2015, 2:41 am

[quote="Regulus"]I tolerate religion, and you have the right to believe whatever you want. But...

Keep it out of politics.

Keep it out of education.

Keep it away from children.

Don't justify violence with it.

And whatever you do, please don't ever tell Regulus about the time Jesus saved you from that tornado.[/quote]

Agreed. Especially the keeping it away from children part. They're too young to grasp what you're spreading to them, forcing them into it too young just indoctrinates them.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Cindy Witmore » August 14th, 2015, 3:40 pm

i hear on the news liberals are tying to take down the pow and mia flags
Cindy Witmore
Rich Lioness

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rich Lioness

Location: Butler Pennsylvania 134 West Street butler PA 16001
Nickname(s): miss meany by my daughter lol
Pride Points: 1

Postby S1mb4 D4 L10n » August 26th, 2015, 8:53 am

One person wrote an article about it being used in the 60s to justify the Vietnam war. Other than that, there is no movement to take it down as far as I know of. The writer even apologized for the article, I thought it was dumb as well. What news station is saying that people are trying to take it down? Also, this post wasn't related to this thread. XD
S1mb4 D4 L10n
A man of knowledge lives by

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

acting, not by thinking about acting.

Nickname(s): S4mb4, Jacket, Jnack, MLK Drama Detective :P
Pride Points: 58

Postby Ultra Fox » October 22nd, 2015, 11:17 pm

I'm an Atheist, and I grew up in a Christian family. There are plenty of really cool, down to earth christians, but growing up in such an environment, I am more than familiar with the screwed up logic and bigotry that religion can cause in some people. Don't care what people believe in if it makes them happy, as long as you keep it out of politics, other people's livelihoods, etc.

Not enough evidence for a god for me to believe anymore, and I really don't feel the need for one to make me happy. I'm just happy enough to be alive and experiencing my family, friends, the good parts of the world. I can find plenty of wonder in nature and humanity's existence without having to think some sky-god made it all.

Though trust me. It took me a long time to accept all of this considering my huge irrational fear of death I've had for years. I always wanted to believe an afterlife was waiting for me, but now I don't care so much either way.

Hell, my finace and I's new roommate is a Mormon, so yeah, different view-points sometimes, but we don't really care.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby FireAndSun » November 10th, 2015, 5:02 am

I've always had a mixed relationship with religion. I used to technically be Catholic, but I certainly wasn't a practicing Catholic, though I did believe in the God of the Bible. I've always questioned aspects of the religion. I only fully transitioned into being an atheist my freshman year of high school, though. For a time, I hated all religion with a passion. Now that I've grown a bit I recognize the role it plays in many people's lives, and I respect that. I'm all for people believing what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt other people, but I still have many issues with it. I have no tolerance for people who use religion to justify ignorance, bigotry, or anti-intellectualism.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby AwkwardPastel » November 13th, 2015, 12:44 am

I do think Wicca is quite a nice religion; it's not too harsh and doesn't have a strict set of rules.
AwkwardPastel
Here comes the lion guard

Hevi Kabisa!

Nickname(s): Jason, Pastel
Pride Points: 2

Postby SlayerOfLight » November 13th, 2015, 1:54 pm

But it does sound kind of ''wicked''.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Carl » November 16th, 2015, 3:00 am

I myself am an atheistic Wiccan, which I've mentioned a few times. Wicca has many different sects pretty much all of which I know absolutely nothing about. Many of them worship a Goddess, some a God alongside her, some a God by himself. I personally don't believe in any gods at all (thus the "atheistic" part), and my Wiccan heritage/aspects don't really have much impact on my life at all. There's the one rule, "If it harm none, do as ye will." I've kind of always lived by that even before I knew it was the rule. Wicca doesn't typically involve wickedness or dark magick of any kind, but of course there are those who will attempt to go that road. I lean heavily towards the "atheistic/non-practicing" side, though.

I investigate things myself before coming to any conclusions. Organized religions are typically too "don't ask, just listen" for my liking, and I simply don't see any reason to believe in a god, can't find any evidence in my life or investigations to support such a thing. I have some evidence (even if it's just experiences I've had) for what I do believe. That said, I also can't prove there isn't a god of any kind and I certainly don't mind people believing in them.

My general stance is, believe what you want, but don't force it on others in any way, and we're good. As the rule I stated goes, "if it harm none, do as ye will." That's my motto.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SlayerOfLight » November 16th, 2015, 3:12 am

Ah I see, makes sense. I kinda thought Wicca was all about casting spells and stuff like Harry Potter (LOL!) but now that you mention it, atheistic wicca reminds me a little of atheistic Satanism.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Carl » November 16th, 2015, 8:34 am

There are some spells and magick involved, but I mean, it's nothing like Harry Potter. It's more about the kind of energy you put off. For example, what little practicing we do is reading tarot cards for ourselves (which we take with a grain of salt) and when a place feels wrong or "evil" we will cleanse the area with incense and salt to ward off evil (it seems to work). We occasionally try to cast spells to improve things for people (never to hurt people or do anything Harry Potter-like), but it doesn't usually seem to have any effect on things. That's pretty much the extent of it for us.

However, others focus more on the "magick" part and spell-casting, rather than the basics, and some of them get rather weird about it. Technically Wiccans are called witches, but there's not as much practicing of magick in my family.

Personally, I think most of what magick I have experienced will someday be scientifically explained (probably won't be called magick then) as none of it involves flashing lights or transformation or flying on brooms or any of that, and instead is mostly the energy/atmoshpere/that kind of thing. It's probably got a logical explanation somewhere. And in general, for those who are familiar with Star Wars, I feel that what we'd call magick is more akin to the Force, but obviously without the jedi/sith powers, sadly. It's just an energy that can be influenced, I guess.

And obviously none of you have to believe any of that, just further explanation from my experience for anyone who is curious. :P
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

PreviousNext

Return to The Den