Controversy Over a Flag at a Tennessee College

Re: Controversy Over a Flag at a Tennessee College

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 19th, 2013, 2:49 pm

[quote]What would you do when your 'kind' has been unaccepted, discriminated against and sometimes even murdered for 2000 years? And I'm saying this as a straight person.[/[/quote]

I wouldn't really care about it because what happened, happenend. As long it wouldn't affect my daily life, there's no reason to complain about it.

[quote]If you actually think it's like that, then you're either blind or stupid. I don't mean to call anyone out here, but it's the truth. Open your eyes and open your mind. You'll see that not being straight is practically a death sentence in grade school, and the entire issue itself only brings out the worst of what humanity has to offer, later on in life.[/quote]

I've heard about plenty of gays that live a normal life whitout having to deal with any crap. Maybe it's like that in the blessed United States of yours, but not where I'm living. And what do you mean with ''the worst what humanity has to offer on later in life''? What kind of drugs are you on, Regulus? I'm not saying gays are having it easy, but you are merely overreacting and making it sound like gays are victems of a new holocaust... Or are you implying that being bullied and the things you mentioned equal to being send to death camps? As far as I know, gays aren't being persecuted and killed Nationwide for their sexual orientation (except in the Middle East) So why are you still arguing?

Wikipedia: Sexual activity between consenting adults and adolescents of a close age of the same sex has been legal nationwide since 2003, pursuant to the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Lawrence v. Texas. Age of consent in each state varies from age 16 to 18; some states maintain different ages of consent for males/females or same-sex/opposite-sex relations.

So what stuff have you been on? Or are you just repeating what everyone else arround you is saying? And yea, I'll repeat myself one last time before you'll go over to personal attacks again: I admit that gays might not always have it easy, but you are making it sound much worser then it actually is. Gays are still alive in the world and many of them live normal lives, so unless I'm blind as you assumed, gays DO have rights at all.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Carl » October 19th, 2013, 3:06 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]Wikipedia: Sexual activity between consenting adults and adolescents of a close age of the same sex has been legal nationwide since 2003, pursuant to the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Lawrence v. Texas. Age of consent in each state varies from age 16 to 18; some states maintain different ages of consent for males/females or same-sex/opposite-sex relations.[/quote]
Actually, this is not entirely true. In Texas and many other states it is technically illegal to have any kind of sexual relations other than male+female in the typical way. And recently in Texas, police officers have been posing as gays, seducing real gays, and then suggesting they have sex, when the gays agree, they are arrested, before even doing anything sexual.

[quote]Gays are still alive in the world and many of them live normal lives, so unless I'm blind as you assumed, gays DO have rights at all.[/quote]
In some places, LGBTs do have rights. Here in America, it's only fourteen states (of fifty) and D.C., however. That means for the rest of us, not so much. Sure we have some rights, free speech (ha, ha ha... did I just say that?), voting, owning property, etc... but that is only because you can't always identify an LGBT person by looking at him or her. If we were more easily identifiable such as non-whites and women were before they were given rights, then we'd have none either.

In most of Europe, it's not a big deal and it's not a problem, so I can see why you find it annoying to see these things, but here in America, in all the states except for the 14 that have allowed it, we have very real and very large problems. Displaying flags like these are one of the few ways we can stand up and try to make a change.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 19th, 2013, 3:12 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"][quote="Nicholas"]Wikipedia: Sexual activity between consenting adults and adolescents of a close age of the same sex has been legal nationwide since 2003, pursuant to the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Lawrence v. Texas. Age of consent in each state varies from age 16 to 18; some states maintain different ages of consent for males/females or same-sex/opposite-sex relations.[/quote]
Actually, this is not entirely true. In Texas and many other states it is technically illegal to have any kind of sexual relations other than male+female in the typical way. And recently in Texas, police officers have been posing as gays, seducing real gays, and then suggesting they have sex, when the gays agree, they are arrested, before even doing anything sexual.

[quote]Gays are still alive in the world and many of them live normal lives, so unless I'm blind as you assumed, gays DO have rights at all.[/quote]
In some places, LGBTs do have rights. Here in America, it's only fourteen states (of fifty) and D.C., however. That means for the rest of us, not so much. Sure we have some rights, free speech (ha, ha ha... did I just say that?), voting, owning property, etc... but that is only because you can't always identify an LGBT person by looking at him or her. If we were more easily identifiable such as non-whites and women were before they were given rights, then we'd have none either.

In most of Europe, it's not a big deal and it's not a problem, so I can see why you find it annoying to see these things, but here in America, in all the states except for the 14 that have allowed it, we have very real and very large problems. Displaying flags like these are one of the few ways we can stand up and try to make a change.[/quote]

Ah well, I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you because the world slowly becomes more open to LGBT's. If I would go to the U.S and interview people about homosexuality, I think 9 out of 10 would say that they're fine with it. And I guess It's only a matter of time before homosexuality and LGBT will be accepted throughout all of the U.S
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » October 19th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Regardless of the legal aspect, it still goes against cultural norms. You know how you said 9 out of 10 Americans are fine with homosexuality? This only proves how misconstrued your perception is.

Less than half of Americans, in my state of North Carolina, voted in favor of supporting same-sex marriage. An amendment to our constitution was proposed to define marriage as being male/female only, and it passed by a margin of over 20%.

It is not something Americans are okay with. Some parents have disowned their kids because they discovered their child was gay. That actually happens. I'm not kidding. Heck, if you even look gay, in any way, you're going to get beat up. At best, you'll only get some dirty looks.

This issue is the single most ridiculous issue we face today. It's not as severe as the Holocaust, but it is the civil rights movement of our time. It is no different from racism in America, in the 20th century.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » October 20th, 2013, 3:33 am

You know, what I can't really grasp is why people call it "business for behind closed doors". How about people take that and actually use it?

I don't want to see you making out in public, and I don't care if you're gay or straight, or whatever. NOT IN FRONT OF OTHERS.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 21st, 2013, 10:54 am

[quote="Regulus"]Regardless of the legal aspect, it still goes against cultural norms. You know how you said 9 out of 10 Americans are fine with homosexuality? This only proves how misconstrued your perception is.

Less than half of Americans, in my state of North Carolina, voted in favor of supporting same-sex marriage. An amendment to our constitution was proposed to define marriage as being male/female only, and it passed by a margin of over 20%.

It is not something Americans are okay with. Some parents have disowned their kids because they discovered their child was gay. That actually happens. I'm not kidding. Heck, if you even look gay, in any way, you're going to get beat up. At best, you'll only get some dirty looks.

This issue is the single most ridiculous issue we face today. It's not as severe as the Holocaust, but it is the civil rights movement of our time. It is no different from racism in America, in the 20th century.[/quote]

This rather falls under the category of bullying and racism, something not uncommon in the U.S. Hardly looks like it has aything to do with gays having no rights. It are not just gays that deal with that problem. All those gay support movements make it look like gays need special treatment. It's just the fact that your, forgive me, so-called ''great'' Nation has to get over some things.

And yea what happens to gays is bad, but I still won't change my mind about my opinion much. If you support gay rights, I think it's better to just support movements against racism. Because as long as there is racism, gays will be facing those issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm also against gay hate. However, unlike you and most other people who seem to be hypnotised into believing that gays are like the most hated and poorest people on earth, I am not overreacting about it. Come to Europe and you'll see how gays are doing just fine in most European Nations.
SlayerOfLight

Postby Woeler » October 21st, 2013, 11:49 am

Oh God (pardon me the expression), where do I start?

[quote="Nicholas"]This rather falls under the category of bullying and racism[/quote]
[quote]I think it's better to just support movements against racism.[/quote]
[quote]Because as long as there is racism, gays will be facing those issues.[/quote]
Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

[quote]Hardly looks like it has aything to do with gays having no rights.[/quote]
It's not like the right to marry is a right or anything. And 'no rights' is an exaggeration of 'less rights', nobody used the term 'no rights'.

[quote]All those gay support movements make it look like gays need special treatment.[/quote]
No, they are not asking for special treatment. They are asking for normal treatment. That is the whole point of this discussion. They are not treated like 'regular' people. Did the Jews ask for 'special' treatment during the second world war? No, they asked for normal treatment, for equal rights and for human standards.

[quote]Come to Europe and you'll see how gays are doing just fine in most European Nations.[/quote]
That's why we are talking about the United States. And if by 'many' you mean: Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, France, the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland (Which is 13 out of the 50 European nationstates).

Spoiler: show
[quote]And yea what happens to gays is bad, but I still won't change my mind about my opinion much[/quote]
That's called 'stubbornness'.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 21st, 2013, 12:37 pm

[quote]Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.[/quote]

Well, Regulus got me started about racism by saying gay hate is no diffrent then racism... So then that remark should be rather towards him.

[quote]It's not like the right to marry is a right or anything. And 'no rights' is an exaggeration of 'less rights', nobody used the term 'no rights'.[/quote]

Ok fair enough then, Gays do have lesser rights, but I can see the world slowly becomming more tolerant to homosexuality (not counting the people of the desert) so it will only be a matter of time before gay rights equal that of a non-homosexual.

[quote]No, they are not asking for special treatment. They are asking for normal treatment. That is the whole point of this discussion. They are not treated like 'regular' people. Did the Jews ask for 'special' treatment during the second world war? No, they asked for normal treatment, for equal rights and for human standards.[/quote]

I'm not talking about gays, of course they want normal treatment. I'm talking about some people that come to the defence of homosexuality that overreact about it, and pretend the issue is worser then it already is. Like I said before, I am against gay hate and gay hate crimes too, only to a lesser degree. I just dont see how gays have it as bad as many people claim, that's all. Sucks for them to have lesser rights, but as long as there's no personal holocaust against them, and the seemingly fact that the world becomes more open to homosexuality, makes me wonder if it really is that much on an issue.

[quote]That's why we are talking about the United States. And if by 'many' you mean: Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, France, the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland (Which is 13 out of the 50 European nationstates).[/quote]

Yea but correct me if I'm wrong, in Europe gay hate doesn't seem to be as severe as in the U.S even though same sex marriage is not (yet) recognised in alot of Nations.
SlayerOfLight

Postby Regulus » October 21st, 2013, 2:19 pm

I mentioned that it is no different from racism, on moral grounds. It is unjustified hate, simple as that.

The idea thar it's all a huge overreaction is one reason, of many, why progress is as slow as it is. People think it isn't important or that it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect them.

But it is important. Government should always look after and protect the rights of people, first and foremost. The issue is important because the exact opposite is happening, and a lot of people just don't care.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Woeler » October 21st, 2013, 3:26 pm

[quote="Regulus"]I mentioned that it is no different from racism, on moral grounds. It is unjustified hate, simple as that.[/quote]
Alright, but please give it the correct name: Discrimination. If there's one word that has been misused, it's racism. It has to do with race, and nothing more.

I sometimes get called a racist because I say multiculturalism is a failure. This remark has nothing to do with races nor with discrimination. The word has almost been redefined by left-wing radicals to mean ''conservative'' or ''right-winger''.

[quote="Nicholas"]Ok fair enough then, Gays do have lesser rights, but I can see the world slowly becomming more tolerant to homosexuality (not counting the people of the desert) so it will only be a matter of time before gay rights equal that of a non-homosexual.[/quote]
It's never a matter of time, it's always a matter of action. Don't ignore history.

[quote="Nicholas"]I'm not talking about gays, of course they want normal treatment. I'm talking about some people that come to the defence of homosexuality that overreact about it, and pretend the issue is worser then it already is. Like I said before, I am against gay hate and gay hate crimes too, only to a lesser degree. I just dont see how gays have it as bad as many people claim, that's all. Sucks for them to have lesser rights, but as long as there's no personal holocaust against them, and the seemingly fact that the world becomes more open to homosexuality, makes me wonder if it really is that much on an issue.[/quote]
Not even answering that.

[quote="Nicholas"]but correct me if I'm wrong, in Europe gay hate doesn't seem to be as severe as in the U.S even though same sex marriage is not (yet) recognised in alot of Nations.[/quote]
Oh, really? Belarus? Russia? Eastern-Europe? I guess beating and incarcerating is just normal then.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

PreviousNext

Return to The Den