Controversy Over a Flag at a Tennessee College

Controversy Over a Flag at a Tennessee College

Postby Carl » October 9th, 2013, 3:13 am

So, a lot has been going on at my school over the past week or so and I thought I'd bring these issues to a topic here. Hopefully this won't become too offensive and end up getting locked, but so be it if it does.

Recently, there has been some controversy over a flag that is on display at the Walker Library. Legal counsel assures MTSU administrators that the flying of this flag is protected by the right to free speech. The flag has been flown at this campus for years without any problems. This flag has been in use nation-wide for years, and can be readily purchased. It's not something new that MT Lambda created.

Earlier this week, the flag was stolen from the display at the library. Campus police located the thief and returned the flag this morning, but isn't it kind of sad that someone felt it necessary to nab this flag? It's a piece of cloth, and personally, the first day they put it, and the other LGBT flags, up in the library, the sight filled me with hope. At the same time, I had a feeling something bad was going to happen, but everyone seemed so indifferent, and that gave me hope. False hope, considering the outcry it has caused.

That flag means we are LGBT but we are also Americans. It is not an American flag, it is a symbol that as citizens of this country we should be treated fairly. It is an expression of self, we are LGBTQ and we are Americans. It is not a slap in the face to veterans, it is not an attack on America, it is simply a flag. A flag that represents the struggle we are facing in this country by not being treated like the American citizens we are. It is not against the law and it is not desecration because it is not the American flag. It is an LGBT flag that resembles the American flag.

Some people claim they don't have a problem with the people, but just with the flag, but I don't see how that can be the case. All the flag stands for is that we are Americans who also happen to be LGBT, so to my eyes, to get violently angry about this flag means you have to be against what the LGBTQ community stands for, because otherwise, it's just a colorful variant of the American flag.

I mean, many countries have the same flag design but with different colors inserted in. The Irish flag is not a desecration of the French flag or vice versa or whatever, you know?

And besides, many people fly the Confederate flag, and there are lots of people, myself included, who only think of slavery and hate when they see that flag, but there are not controversies that make it to the news because of it.

Anyway, yes I'm prepared for some people here to tell me how wrong I am, that this flag is horrible and that it violates America and blah blah. Just if you're one of those people please don't be hateful about it. I'm just curious as to what you MLKers think of all this because this is one of the most diverse places I've ever been, perhaps the most diverse place I've ever been, and I'm interested in some of y'all's perspectives. So please, keep it civil and discuss.

I'm going to try not to post much here myself because this is a very personal issue for me and I don't want to get violently angry and get this locked like I have another thread in the past. :P
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: Controversy Over a Flag at a Tennessee College

Postby Regulus » October 9th, 2013, 3:33 am

Pfft. This is ridiculous. Everybody knows gay people don't deserve the right to vote. It's such a disgrace to this country to ever even consider such a blasphemous, unpatriotic idea. Oy vey, I can't believe what an utter atrocity this is!
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Tora » October 9th, 2013, 3:54 am

^ Amen ;)

This is just a joke.
Last edited by Tora on October 9th, 2013, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Kiburi » October 9th, 2013, 4:26 am

Personally, I think that people should be allowed to do whatever is deemed to be within their rights in the constitution. If that means that they have the freedom to fly a rainbow American flag, then go ahead, be my guest.
This is less about what I personally believe in regarding this issue, and more about allowing people to employ their beliefs, and excersize their freedoms as they so choose to.
If we start taking away people's freedoms, then the entire principle that our country was founded on will go to hell in a hand basket.
"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby TheLionPrince » October 9th, 2013, 7:00 pm

This issue has little to do with one's religious views, but the question lies if the owner or president of the university deem it appropriate. The decision can be left to the appointed chancellor/university president. If they desire the flag to be displayed on campus, then, so be it. If not, erect the flag on your own property. An alternative would be for the student government to hold an election, and let majority rule since this issue is too controversial to be left to one person's decision.

Other than that, it's a beautiful, colorful variation of the American flag, and I agree with the message that LGBTQ community born in the United States are Americans.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on October 19th, 2013, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Woeler » October 11th, 2013, 5:52 pm

[quote="Kiburi"]"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"[/quote]
You misquoted that one:

"Life, Liberty*, and the Pursuit of Happiness"

*except if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, communist, atheist, muslim or any other specific group that is not accepted on the grounds 2000 year old fairy-tales dreamed up by a bunch of middle-eastern people by transforming myths of earlier civilizations.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby Regulus » October 11th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Yaaaay! Time to bash America! :D

[quote="Woeler"][quote="Kiburi"]"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"[/quote]
You misquoted that one:

*except if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, communist, atheist, muslim or any other specific group that is not accepted on the grounds 2000 year old fairy-tales dreamed up by a bunch of middle-eastern people by transforming myths of earlier civilizations.[/quote]

Actually, it's more like this:

[quote]Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness*

[...]

* This only applies if you are the majority**

[...]

** In this case, Majority is defined as a straight, white christian male with more wealth than 90% of the rest of the population.***

[...]

*** Oh, you realize that's not the majority? Oh, yeah... well that's too bad. You're the minority because you realize this. The majority is too stupid to notice that they're not the majority.[/quote]
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Kiburi » October 12th, 2013, 6:00 am

[quote="Regulus"]Yaaaay! Time to bash America! :D

[quote="Woeler"][quote="Kiburi"]"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"[/quote]
You misquoted that one:

*except if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, communist, atheist, muslim or any other specific group that is not accepted on the grounds 2000 year old fairy-tales dreamed up by a bunch of middle-eastern people by transforming myths of earlier civilizations.[/quote]

Actually, it's more like this:

[quote]Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness*

[...]

* This only applies if you are the majority**

[...]

** In this case, Majority is defined as a straight, white christian male with more wealth than 90% of the rest of the population.***

[...]

*** Oh, you realize that's not the majority? Oh, yeah... well that's too bad. You're the minority because you realize this. The majority is too stupid to notice that they're not the majority.[/quote][/quote]

You see, I never said that it was true for/applied to everyone, I simply said that it was founded on that principal, so we should at least try to live up to it.
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby cleargreenwater » October 12th, 2013, 1:55 pm

I don't see why it needed to be taken down when sorority & fraternity flags are draped and displayed all over a campus, including in libraries if they arrange to be highlighted/featured.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby Carl » October 12th, 2013, 5:17 pm

[quote="cleargreenwater"]I don't see why it needed to be taken down when sorority & fraternity flags are draped and displayed all over a campus, including in libraries if they arrange to be highlighted/featured.[/quote]
That's how the staff felt too, but one of the students felt it necessary to snatch the flag and make off with it. The group replaced the stolen one very quickly, and the original flag has been returned. There hasn't been any more problems since all of that mess to my knowledge, which is a bit refreshing, but the month is only halfway through, so we'll see if this quasi-peace holds out.

[quote="TheLionPrince"]I agree with the message that LGBTQ community born in the United States are Americans.[/quote]
It's slightly off-topic, but does this mean you don't consider legal citizens who moved to the country at some point in their life through legal channels to be Americans?
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Next

Return to The Den