Tom Clancy Dies Aged 66

Tom Clancy Dies Aged 66

Postby FlipMode » October 2nd, 2013, 3:51 pm

Author of many great action books and also the reason that you might have played Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon to name a few. Passed away last night at aged 66.
I was a fan of his work so I thought I would make a RIP thread where others can also post their respects.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1473782

Thanks to Snowy for bringing this to my attention.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Tom Clancy Dies Aged 66

Postby DGFone » October 2nd, 2013, 7:56 pm

I rather enjoyed reading his book Rainbow Six, and I'm a huge fan of the early Red Storm games - Rainbow Six 1-3 and Ghost Recon 1.

Strictly speaking, just about everything new with the "Tom Clancy" name on it didn't have anything to do with the man: most new books were written by ghost authors, and if the new Ghost Recon / Splinter Cell / HAWX games have to tell you anything, Ubisoft didn't bother even calling the guy after Rainbow Six 3.

Still, even if his name turned into a franchise in recent history, his real works are still quite good, and I have to say that I didn't expect him to go so soon. May he rest in peace.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » October 2nd, 2013, 10:44 pm

[quote="DGFone"]I rather enjoyed reading his book Rainbow Six, and I'm a huge fan of the early Red Storm games - Rainbow Six 1-3 and Ghost Recon 1.

Strictly speaking, just about everything new with the "Tom Clancy" name on it didn't have anything to do with the man: most new books were written by ghost authors, and if the new Ghost Recon / Splinter Cell / HAWX games have to tell you anything, Ubisoft didn't bother even calling the guy after Rainbow Six 3.
[/quote]

But it still would never have existed in the first place.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » October 2nd, 2013, 11:45 pm

Rainbow Six would have, just under a different name. :P

The game was already well into development before they changed a few things to get the Tom Clancy name and tie into the book.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » October 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm

Oh really? I didn't play much of the series to be honest with you. I did really enjoy Rainbow Six Vegas 2 online though. Me and my friends put so many hours into it.

Advanced Warfighter 2 was another one I really liked. But that is about as far as my experience with the TC games goes. I did like what of his novels I read though.
FlipMode

Postby TheLionPrince » October 6th, 2013, 11:01 pm

The news of his death was so sudden and unexpected. I honestly froze for a minute when it broke. Anyway, I enjoyed watching The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games last summer, and I will be watching Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears sometime soon. Also, I look forward to the new Jack Ryan thriller, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, coming this year. I'll consider reading the novel series. Anyway, rest in peace, Tom Clancy! :(
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Return to The Den