The real ''long live the King''

Postby Woeler » April 30th, 2013, 5:48 pm

As you may have heard The Netherlands (where I live) has a new monarch. The queen abdicated the throne if favor of her son, now King Willem-Alexander I.

My question to you is: Monarchies in the Western world, A nice piece of culture or old-fashioned nonsense?
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Re: The real ''long live the King''

Postby DGFone » April 30th, 2013, 6:07 pm

The only correction I would like you to add is instead of the Western world, replace it with the Western European world.

From a practical standpoint, today's monarchies hardly have any power. In fact, the only power I know for certain the British queen has is that she's the commander-in-chief of the British military... that the regular government really tells what to do. Although royalty generally represents culturally whatever nation they come from, so there is some diplomatic use to keeping monarchs around.

I do remember just how mad you got at the world when the queen stepped down, and my thoughts were along the lines of "dude, it's not like she died or anything. Seeing as she's still alive and you're getting a new king, shouldn't you be happy and not ***** at everyone?" Maybe others in the Netherlands were indeed joyous, but I myself couldn't see the big deal about all of this.

On the other hand, monarchies do have a very strong cultural presence in Western European society, and to get rid of it would tear a large hole in European history and culture.

So if I had to really phrase down my thoughts, they would be that monarchs are a nice piece of old-fashioned cultural nonsense. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » April 30th, 2013, 6:11 pm

As an American, my opinion is practically irrelevant. If, in fact, I even have one.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Sigurd » April 30th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I think a monarch is a good symbol for the country, otherwise I don't think they are so useful.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 30th, 2013, 6:25 pm

I find monarchs relatively interesting Learning about past British King's and Queen's has always been fun to me ^^ I don't understand why people make such a fuss though. I mean, some people dedicate their lives to our monarchs here, that's nonsense. Still, they give us reasons to have days off and massive celebrations! So yeah, to sum it up:
[quote="DGFone"]Monarchs are a nice piece of old-fashioned cultural nonsense :P[/quote]
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Woeler » April 30th, 2013, 6:39 pm

[quote="DGFone"]I do remember just how mad you got at the world when the queen stepped down[/quote]
I've never been mad. On the contrary, I was very excited that we'd get a new monarch. Of course you people can't see my facebookpage, but it was full of happy-nationalistic pictures XD. I never ****ed anyone. Feel free to quote me where I did. I don't know where you picked that up, but I've never ever been mad about that, it was exactly the opposite.

On that day:
Translation: On the 30th of April I will put up more than one flag! New King!

[quote="DGFone"]On the other hand, monarchies do have a very strong cultural presence in Western European society, and to get rid of it would tear a large hole in European history and culture.[/quote]
Indeed, they do bring a form of national unity. The sad thing is, the next day the very same people go back voting for their uber-cosmopolitan parties.

[quote="DGFone"]From a practical standpoint, today's monarchies hardly have any power. In fact, the only power I know for certain the British queen has is that she's the commander-in-chief of the British military...[/quote]
Our monarch can veto every single new law that is introduced.

[quote="Simbaist"]I think a monarch is a good symbol for the country, otherwise I don't think they are so useful.[/quote]
Ours brings us billions of euros in trade.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » April 30th, 2013, 7:08 pm

[quote="Woeler"]

My question to you is: Monarchies in the Western world, A nice piece of culture or old-fashioned nonsense?[/quote]

Both. Even as a European (talks of England potentially leaving the EU aside) my opinion pretty much mirrors DGF's. Cultural heritage and old fashioned. I respect it and all but I don't really think it has much of a place in modern day. They don't have that much power in most countries, not in the grand scheme of things. Yet to be rid of them would be almost disrespectful to the country's name and history that people have literally died for.
So yeah, it is old fashioned nonsense, but you know what? The Wold needs some of that.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » April 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]So yeah, it is old fashioned nonsense, but you know what? The Wold needs some of that.[/quote]

Agreed.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby AdAstrα » April 30th, 2013, 10:08 pm

I don't know if I have an opinion on this, really *shrugs*. We have a new little princess here who is absolutely adorable, but part of me thinks it's absolutely insane that she's been born into a world she won't ever be able to escape. It makes me a bit sad to think that she won't be able to choose for herself, that she'll never experience a "normal" life without the expectations and pressure.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Kal » April 30th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I guess I'm kinda in the middle too. There is still alot of support for the monarchy here, so there is no need to worry too much. I feel that it is now pretty much a purely ceremonial position, but I suppose it is one of the things that makes the UK what it is. There's a character there, a uniqueness, and it still makes a lot of people proud (as it obviously has done throughout history), so I suppose that it is a good thing. Live and let long live... or something. :)
The Quote Hall Of Fame: show
Ou - "Ou iz awezome."
Roku - "Roku is awesome."
Ou - "Kal is awesome."
*Kal bursts into tears of unbridled joy*
The Admiral - "What am I reading?"
Kal
tjúúúú

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The fox around these parts.

Pride Points: 28

Next

Return to The Den