The real ''long live the King''

Re: The real ''long live the King''

Postby FlipMode » May 1st, 2013, 12:02 am

[quote="AdAstrα"]I don't know if I have an opinion on this, really *shrugs*. We have a new little princess here who is absolutely adorable, but part of me thinks it's absolutely insane that she's been born into a world she won't ever be able to escape. It makes me a bit sad to think that she won't be able to choose for herself, that she'll never experience a "normal" life without the expectations and pressure.[/quote]

That's only used as a plot point in fantasy stories, I doubt it is actually a thing that happens.
And even in said stories, it always works out in the end lol
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby AdAstrα » May 1st, 2013, 12:08 am

Ok, slight exaggeration perhaps, but it's not like she'll ever be an ordinary citizen. There will always be special treatment etc.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Regulus » May 1st, 2013, 12:31 am

Ahem...

Doesn't that apply to everyone?

You can't change who you are, and you certainly can't change who your parents are.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 1st, 2013, 8:12 am

[quote="Regulus"]Ahem...

Doesn't that apply to everyone?

You can't change who you are, and you certainly can't change who your parents are.[/quote]

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at, I think. There are a lot worse families to be burn into than the royal family :)
I still do get what AdAstra is saying, I'm just not entirely convinced its how a princess would actually think or feel...

And anyway Prince Harry is pretty much a "normal citizen". He used to go out drinking, scoring hot chicks, get kicked out of clubs for being wasted, got into fights, wearing inappropriate things like freaking swaztikas. You can still live like a normal person, just not all the time.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby AdAstrα » May 1st, 2013, 8:43 am

Well, the difference would be that every mistake they make ends up all over the tabloids and other media. Quite a significant difference, I would say. Pretty much always being in the public eye. "Normal" citizens don't have that problem.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby DGFone » May 2nd, 2013, 6:42 pm

[quote="AdAstrα"]Well, the difference would be that every mistake they make end up all over the tabloids and other media. Quite a significant difference, I would say. Pretty much always being in the public eye. "Normal" citizens don't have that problem.[/quote]

Which is why when I hear in school people wishing to date celebrities and stuff, I slap my forehead. Nothing like the paparazzi looking at everything you do 24/7, just waiting for you to foul up and make fun of you. Same thing with royalty, except that it's culturally acceptable for royalty to hire guards to keep the paparazzi further away from the royals than celebrities can.

That being said, regular people don't have to worry about this. When the world doesn't know who you are, you ironically enough have much more freedom and control over yourself.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Wrightfan » May 6th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I think where they are now is fine.

By the way, it's interesting to see a few large positions peacefully abdicated (The Papacy for example.)
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby MooLion » May 12th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I'm keeping this short as I've discussed it a few times before. I'm very much into my country's history and the monarchy is one of those parts that we still have as a show of the fascinating history. Traditional and interesting for tourists. So I am for it remaining, regardless of the lack of real power they have nowadays.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Previous

Return to The Den