I'm sure we've all noticed...

I'm sure we've all noticed...

Postby DreamEater » April 25th, 2013, 9:51 pm

If there's already a topic about this it can be closed.

I'm sure we've all noticed that since President Obama stated he wanted to ban guns the shooting and massacre rate has gone up by at least 20 in 2013 so far, right? Maybe this is people's way on "making the best of what they have before they lose it" huh? It's been crazy. So many people have been killed during shootings and massacres in just 4 months so far, though I do believe it started back with Holmes, ever since his shooting a while back it seemed like people fed off of that and now it keeps continuing on like this.

Shooting after shooting. I mean, look at the list of the World Issues topics, "shooting here, shooting there, shootings everywhere" when will it stop? It may never at this rate, unless Obama and the Government, Congress and who ever else has to agree to ban guns and boom, the shootings will decrease. The sad part about it for me is that the law apparently is now little kids or anyone else can't make a lemonade stand out on the street to raise money without having to pay more of what they earned just to pay to make it legally.

What's so sad is that they put massive amount of security on that yet did nothing about the guns, people can still carry around guns nice and carelessly and shoot as many people as they want but you can't make a lemonade stand now? That's insane. Would anyone else care to share their thoughts and opinions about what's becoming of this world?
DreamEater
HEY IT'S ALRIGHT

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

MY LIFE HAS NEVER BEEN A BED OF ROSES

Pride Points: 29

Re: I'm sure we've all noticed...

Postby FlipMode » April 25th, 2013, 11:02 pm

I dunno. Guns are banned in the UK, we still have shootings here. To be honest that's why I'm a little indifferent on gun control laws coming to the USA. Aside from the fact I don't live there, it seems to me that criminals who want to use guns for crime will continue to do so... It may be illegal to own a gun but if you are going to use it to do something else which is illegal then why would the criminal give a hoot about the gun law?
On that note; while criminals will continue to have guns, law abiding citizens will no longer be able to own a gun for protection... Might as well just stick a "ROB ME!" sign above your house.

And the thing is, guns have been banned here for a long time, as such they are harder to get hold of. In the USA once they introduce gun laws, there will still be a lot of them in circulation wouldn't there? It will be a long while after the laws are implemented before a significant change in statistics occur in my opinion.

I heard the other day here in the UK a company is attempting to put a statute to parliament where drug users will be able to go to "drug rooms" to use illegal drugs WITHOUT any repercussions! Like a hotel for drug addicts. The idea is to get them off the streets but what a crazy concept!
The World is going to pot (EDIT - UNINTENTIONAL PUN!), but there are still things that make me think "Wow I am so grateful to be alive!"
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Azdgari » April 26th, 2013, 5:08 am

I appreciate what you're saying. You should totally do some research to understand the complexity of American gun violence and the dichotomy between second amendment freedoms and effective gun control. Super complex and (in my opinion) fascinating stuff, but the answer is out there for you if you choose to investigate it!

You've probably seen the range here: DGFone very pro gun, Woeler quite against, myself and LionPrince somewhere in the middle. It can be a very inflammatory issue, so... yeah. =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby DGFone » April 26th, 2013, 5:42 am

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

Here's what I would like to add: Banning guns is only a measure to try and treat the symptoms and not cure the source. If guns directly lead to an increase of gun crime, we should honestly be seeing a much higher crime rate, because want to admit it or not, but Americans are swarming to buy guns. If guns were the problem, the rate of gun crimes should have increased by a factor, and not by just 20 this past year. Yes, it's still bad, but if guns were the source, the number should be in the thousands.

What I see is that there is wrong with American society as a whole. Likely source? The global recession. All the crimes we're seeing are not caused by guns, but by people getting mad at society and choosing to kill. To use a very recent example: Boston was not an attack caused by guns.

If we want to reduce gun crime, my honest belief is that we should drop the gun debate and get people working again.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby DreamEater » April 26th, 2013, 7:02 am

Whether it be guns, bombs, kidnapping, anything, my point still stays the same. Violence increased drastically over the past year? Yes. Either way my statement stays true.
DreamEater
HEY IT'S ALRIGHT

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » April 26th, 2013, 7:56 am

[quote="RealmoftheDragon"]Whether it be guns, bombs, kidnapping, anything, my point still stays the same. Violence increased drastically over the past year? Yes. Either way my statement stays true.[/quote]

Yes, violence has increased, but as you put it, [quote="RealmoftheDragon"]when will it stop? It may never at this rate, unless Obama and the Government, Congress and who ever else has to agree to ban guns and boom, the shootings will decrease.[/quote]

That part is very debatable (I reason that it's simply untrue). This is the whole "people would rather treat symptoms than cure disease."

It's easy to see that there is an increase in gun violence, and therefore we need to ban guns. But Boston didn't use gun. Are we to ban cooking pits and nails?

The only real solution, and one that won't infringe on our rights as Americans, is to eliminate the cause of civil unrest that leads people to harm others. What exactly that is? There's a reason why people would rather treat the symptoms and blindly ban the tools of the latest mass murder.

Or as Flip put it: Britain banned guns, and yet the shooting continues. Now it wants to ban cooking knives as well. Like banning helped the first time around. What Flip also forgot to mention is that the UK never had the same gun culture as the US, meaning that the gun ownership ratio among criminals and the average civilian was much higher, even before the ban.

We can't simply ban things that were used to kill. Because at the end of the day, just let me cut right to the chase:

Ban people.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » April 26th, 2013, 8:43 am

[quote="DGFone"]

Or as Flip put it: Britain banned guns, and yet the shooting continues. Now it wants to ban cooking knives as well. Like banning helped the first time around. What Flip also forgot to mention is that the UK never had the same gun culture as the US, meaning that the gun ownership ratio among criminals and the average civilian was much higher, even before the ban.

We can't simply ban things that were used to kill. Because at the end of the day, just let me cut right to the chase:

Ban people.[/quote]

The kitchen knives thing is a little different. They don't really serve a purpose. They are talking about the super long, overly sharp cooking blades. We have them in our house and I've literally never used them, even at Christmas I don't use the biggest one to carve the turkey. So they're not really being used for their original purpose and have essentially been deduced to weapons during arguments.

Guns on the other hand, will always have a purpose. We need them for war. Guns are banned here and yet the Army has a very strong presence in the media, telling students via Spotify, TV and by going into colleges and allowing students to see and mess around with guns, all in en effort to gain interest in joining. I have a picture of me holding a sniper rifle, aiming at my friend.
On that note, Britain is known for being quite good at weapons manufacturing and development. We are also pretty darn good at shooting things, we have some pretty strong competitive shooters even....
And my USA friends, dare I even mention history? We have done well in war.

And yeah we still have gun crimes here. It's just that the number of people killed during them is usually lower. In the USA the reason they get Worldwide attention is that it is usually mass murder, as in the Dark Knight Rises shooting or the school shooting. In Britain it still happens, you CAN own a gun here legally but A)not on your property (must be kept at clubs etc that have licenses to store weapons) and B) you yourself must have a license to own one but it can be done, guns are not banned here, it's owning them on your own property and / or without a license that IS illegal, guns in general are not.

We still have shootings here, I can link you to a video of one on Brighton seafront (where I live). The reason you don't hear about them is it's usually only one victim or a few at most, not like the bigger numbers in USA killing sprees... After all, as long as it's only a couple of murders, why the Heck would anyone care about that? /sarcasm

I didn't forget to mention the USA has a deeper gun culture than the UK, I thought it was a given. Anyone from either country is probably ware of that.
Most people in Britian, even myself included don't know much about the gun control issue in America. As Az stated, it is very complex. That much I am aware of, so I don't really think I can have a justifiable opinion, I actually have a problem with people who runt heir mouth off without knowing what they are talking about. Most people just see the news and think "They should ban guns over there then I guess."
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby DreamEater » April 26th, 2013, 8:40 pm

[quote="DGFone"][quote="RealmoftheDragon"]Yes, violence has increased, but as you put it, [quote="RealmoftheDragon"]when will it stop? It may never at this rate, unless Obama and the Government, Congress and who ever else has to agree to ban guns and boom, the shootings will decrease.[/quote]

That part is very debatable (I reason that it's simply untrue). This is the whole "people would rather treat symptoms than cure disease."

It's easy to see that there is an increase in gun violence, and therefore we need to ban guns. But Boston didn't use gun. Are we to ban cooking pits and nails?

The only real solution, and one that won't infringe on our rights as Americans, is to eliminate the cause of civil unrest that leads people to harm others. What exactly that is? There's a reason why people would rather treat the symptoms and blindly ban the tools of the latest mass murder.

Ban people.[/quote][/quote]

You clearly didn't read the post I made before you posted this one, did you? Not to sound rude, I'm just trying to make a point, in Boston, yeah those weren't guns, but they were bombs. I get you, but maybe they should try banning bombs too? If not, the bombs in Boston were apparently in bags, so it should be a law to check everyone's bags to make sure they don't have a deadly weapon of any kind inside. Such as a gun or bomb, the Boston Marathon is HUGE, they should make sure everything and everyone is secure. If someone came in there with a quick firing gun, they're surrounded by people from every side, they could have killed thousands like that, same goes for the bombs.

I'm not trying to change your mind or prove you wrong, I'm just restating what I said beforehand and making it a little more clear, apparently.
DreamEater
HEY IT'S ALRIGHT

Postby Regulus » April 26th, 2013, 9:41 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Ban people.[/quote]

We the people, of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this legislature.

All humans herein granted shall be banished from all the light touches. No person shall be within the borders of the United States of America.

The Ratification of this legal document, shall be sufficient for the establishment of this legislature between the States of America. We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

Sir Regulus the Great

x___________________

^ Just sign there, please.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Woeler » April 27th, 2013, 7:03 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Or as Flip put it: Britain banned guns, and yet the shooting continues.[/quote]
There is still a huge difference between 12,000+ deaths and 42 deaths, even if you put in a relative perspective it's still huge.

Saying that it doesn't work is complete nonsense.

Gundeaths USA (homicides only): 12,179
Gundeaths UK: 42

Citizens USA: 315,743,000
Citizens UK: 63,182,000

315,743,000 / 63,182,000 = 5
12,179 / 5 = 2436

Thank you guncontrol for saving 2394 (2436 - 42) lives per year.

Don't but, because there is no ''but''. These numbers do not lie and they are accurate.

Has guncontrol (ban) eliminated all gundeaths? No.
Has guncontrol (ban) reduced the number of gundeaths? Yes, yes it has, a lot.

[quote="DGFone"]ban people.[/quote]

The logic: Ban people. You can't ban people. Do nothing.

In general
And the best one yet: show

And to the people who say: Well, then shouldn't we ban cars, forks, hammers and knives?
My answer: For you, yes. You should not have a gun, car, fork, hammer or a knife.
Last edited by Woeler on April 27th, 2013, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Next

Return to The Den