One-way ticket to Mars, anyone?

One-way ticket to Mars, anyone?

Postby AdAstrα » April 17th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Just came across this article. Apparently they are starting a project that involves sending people off to Mars to build a colony there. If this should happen, they would also be turning it into a reality TV show in the style of Big Brother.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

Thoughts? Would you want to go? Personally.....I'll have to say no thanks. Really don't like this idea to be perfectly honest, as fascinating as it would be, in a way. I just don't see how they'll possibly survive? Sure, they have technology and stuff, but still. What happens when that starts malfunctioning? And to broadcast it all on TV? Does this remind anyone else of The Hunger Games? Because even if a few people might survive, I'm sure some would die. Do we really want to watch that on television?
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Re: One-way ticket to Mars, anyone?

Postby FlipMode » April 17th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Not that far fetched, quite a few people would be willing to go to Mars at the cost of death. I mean, it's not exactly a bad thing to achieve before you die, is it? Heck I'm sure the same could even be said about The Moon, or maybe even just Space.
Plus you actually would be living on Mars. Setting up things etc, you would have to all work together as one cohesive team in order to survive. It's not like I'm A Celebrity or something, where they send them to Australia, we are talking about an entire planet which, despite all our advances in research, we still have little factual knowledge about. So yeah the risks are obvious, you don't sign up without knowing you might not (in this case, will not) come back.

Also, I don't think you have anything to worry about anyway lol... I don't believe for one second they will get the funding, £3.8bn for EACH group they send? Ouch. It has to be something that we would be watching for years, non stop for that kind of funding to be attained for a TV show.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » April 17th, 2013, 5:56 pm

It's not a matter of Mars or bust, but the simple fact that if we want to get there sooner, we can only develop a one-way rocket. The reason why all previous Mars expeditions stalled and died before liftoff is because everyone insisted on Apollo-style round-trip designs that can get people to Mars, and then back again.

Now people are realizing that if we were to send people to Mars with the knowledge that, chances are, they will not get to go back, then we can reach Mars much sooner.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » April 17th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Let's send Justin Bieber there.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » April 17th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Haha that'll get people watching at least.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » April 18th, 2013, 2:30 am

[quote="Regulus"]Let's send Justin Bieber there.[/quote]

Only if the rocket will blow up half way through the journey... :roll:
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 18th, 2013, 9:44 pm

[quote="Regulus"]Let's send Justin Bieber there.[/quote]

Not gonna happen, his beliebers will come to his rescue even if they have to risk their own pathetic lives.
SlayerOfLight

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Sigurd » July 24th, 2013, 11:14 pm

If think we should fix the economy before we decide to travel to Mars.
I don't think USA will be first to Mars it would probably be China, Russia or maybe India.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Jarrett » July 24th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I guarantee if they go, they won't come back. I remember reading somewhere that if you go to Mars, the trip alone to get there you will receive the same amount of radiation that you normally receive in your lifetime. It's definitely a one-way trip. Can't see something like this happening any time soon.
Jarrett
JHH

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Do what you love and love what you do.

Pride Points: 5

Postby Kiburi » July 24th, 2013, 11:31 pm

I would do it.
It would just be so awesome that it would actually be worth it.
Maybe. Just maybe.
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Next

Return to The Den