Human Overpopulation: Fact or Falsehood?

Re: Human Overpopulation: Fact or Falsehood?

Postby Woeler » July 11th, 2012, 10:16 am

[quote="Azdgari"]I guess the real question is, what is the optimal population of the Earth?[/quote]

90% of Russia is still free and most of Canada as well.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Azdgari » July 11th, 2012, 3:08 pm

In terms of resources moreso than land, probably.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Woeler » July 11th, 2012, 5:36 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]In terms of resources moreso than land, probably.[/quote]
Resources will run out eventually, there is no ultimate amount of people that can live here. Even if one person lived on earth, the resources would have dried out someday. It will just bring the moment closer. But yes I think we might get in trouble with resources, but that is just the way we humans live now.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » July 11th, 2012, 6:09 pm

[quote="Woeler1"][quote="Azdgari"]In terms of resources moreso than land, probably.[/quote]
Resources will run out eventually, there is no ultimate amount of people that can live here. Even if one person lived on earth, the resources would have dried out someday. It will just bring the moment closer. But yes I think we might get in trouble with resources, but that is just the way we humans live now.[/quote]

Not exactly. You're forgetting that even 'non-renewable' resources have a regeneration rate. It's just a very slow one, compared to the rate at which the resource is used.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Kopalover » July 11th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Since we recently did a study of this in my classes. I'd like to take input here.
There is an earth like planet out there. It's within our Galaxy but out of reach for now. It is way larger than Earth. With Over-Population reaching its limit in the next century or two, they would start building ships very soon to travel there. Bringing the best scientist there first to tests its living quality, then once they give the go, I believe they'll start bringing some of the population piece by piece to this new Earth.
Though, for now I'm pretty sure they're still even trying to figure out the mode of transportation. So I don't believe I see our generations going to this new earth..
Signatures by Shadowfax, thank you love <3
Kopalover
X-RAAYY

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...AND VAAAAAV

Nickname(s): Zoe, KL
Pride Points: 33

Postby Woeler » July 11th, 2012, 8:36 pm

[quote="Kopalover"]Since we recently did a study of this in my classes. I'd like to take input here.
There is an earth like planet out there. It's within our Galaxy but out of reach for now. It is way larger than Earth. With Over-Population reaching its limit in the next century or two, they would start building ships very soon to travel there. Bringing the best scientist there first to tests its living quality, then once they give the go, I believe they'll start bringing some of the population piece by piece to this new Earth.
Though, for now I'm pretty sure they're still even trying to figure out the mode of transportation. So I don't believe I see our generations going to this new earth..[/quote]

Since this planet is lightyears away(i believe 21), and we simply can not travel faster than light, it would take us at least 21 years with the most optimized form a of transport (which we do not posses), this means we need to freeze human beings for the journey (also a technology we do not posses). Bringing a lot of people to this planet is highly unlikely because we would need to freeze them all and build lot of superexpenisve spaceships with a lot of fuel (which we simply dont have). The most likely scenario is that somewhere in the next millenium we will reach that planet and the only way to colonize it is to get people there and get them to get kids. If this were to solve overpopulation that would mean that everyone on earth should suddenly stop getting kids because oherwise the population would still grow.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Postby Sigurd » April 29th, 2013, 3:04 am

[quote="Woeler"][quote="Azdgari"]I guess the real question is, what is the optimal population of the Earth?[/quote]

90% of Russia is still free and most of Canada as well.[/quote]

But you still need to provide them with food and houses and so on. You can't just put them anywhere just because no one lives there. And how do you think the canadians and the russians would react. If we put a lot of people there, they will soon become a political force, maybe they wants to seperate from Canada or Russia, that will probably cause a conflict.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Regulus » April 29th, 2013, 3:41 am

In Soviet Russia, land settles on people.

The Canadians would probably be okay with it, though. :lol:
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Woeler » April 29th, 2013, 12:32 pm

[quote="Simbaist"][quote="Woeler"][quote="Azdgari"]I guess the real question is, what is the optimal population of the Earth?[/quote]

90% of Russia is still free and most of Canada as well.[/quote]

But you still need to provide them with food and houses and so on. You can't just put them anywhere just because no one lives there. And how do you think the canadians and the russians would react. If we put a lot of people there, they will soon become a political force, maybe they wants to seperate from Canada or Russia, that will probably cause a conflict.[/quote]
Internationalism is on the rise (unfortunately). Countries and borders will probably not exist anymore in approx. 500 years.
Woeler

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 29th, 2013, 12:42 pm

There are bigger worries then so-called overpopulation. It's not like the damn governments ever run out of money to build houses anyway, especially after so many people lost their home because of that economic crisis which no single government seems to care about. Such a ''beautifull'' world we live in, right?
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

PreviousNext

Return to The Den