The Hobbit (May contain spoilers)

The Hobbit (May contain spoilers)

Postby Shadowfax » December 15th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Well, I saw this movie last night and I must say I was very impressed.

I am and have been an avid Lord of the Rings fan for ten years now and when I saw Return of the king in the cinemas I never thought i'd be sitting there 9 years later watching Peter Jacksons 'The Hobbit'. When the credits began at the start and the title appeared, i actually had tears in my eyes (How sad!) I was that excited and overwhelmed that there was another LOTR movie.

So, onto the movie review! I will mark it as a spoiler, just incase.

Spoiler: show
It was very well done. When I heard he was putting the movie into three parts I was a little shocked and confused as to how he could lengthen one book into three three hour long movies like the lord of the rings. But by the end of An Unexpected Journey I can see how easily it can be done now.

Jackson has added some extras in, and will be adding more in by the sounds of things later on in the trilogy. He is and always will be my favourite film maker and the movie was so AMAZING.

So, the movie starts with a history lesson from Bilbo of how the dwarves came to lose their home and how Smaug came about. Then we jump to the Shire an old Bilbo who is getting ready to write his tale. We see him the day of his birthday, just like in fellowship of the ring and also, in comes Elijah Wood! Yay! He looks no older than he did ten years ago and I must say I was very impressed with how well they did his make up/costume. He literally looked the same. Bilbo too.

The start, starting with an older Bilbo was a nice touch, then we jump into the past and we see a younger Bilbo sitting outside Bagend when Gandalf comes along. I remember their meeting in the book so the film took a different take on it. The dwarves mostly looked how I pictured them and Kili, my favourite in the book who is also my favourite in the film now looked so damn shmexy. I thought they did Gloin very well too and as he is Gimli's father, they got the resembelence spot on =3

So off they go on their adventure, taking advantage of New Zealands epic landscapes for some fantastic shots ^-^ It was nice to see Elrond again, and even though they don't appear in the books, Saruman and Galadriel too. Again, none looked aged at all infact they did a fantastic job of showing them as younger characters as the Hobbit was set 60 years before the lord of the rings trilogy. Haha, did anyone else lol when Saruman said Sauron was dead and could never come back to power?

The only odd part of this movie for me however was Radagast. I remember him being a little weird in the books, but a sledge pulled by bunnies... Wha? Was that in the book as I don't really recall that happening :\ That was a little too on the weird side for my liking, but hey ho.

Gollum's cave, Riddles in the dark was my fave chapter in the book and I loved it in the film <3 They really did it justice. I did get a little teary though when Bilbo was about to kill him when he wore the ring and Gollum started crying! OMG I wanted to hug him so much in that moment! <3

The soundtrack... OMFGSOEPIC. Infact, i am listening to it on Youtube right now as I post this. It was fantastic. So pleased they got Howard Shore back to do these movies. I loved the mix between the old scores and the new too. I loved the contrast and the odd piece that was taken straight from FOTR was so pretty :')

So all in all, I give the movie 10/10. Thank you Peter Jackson! I cannot wait for the desolation of Smaug now! :D

What are your views on the Hobbit? What did you like and dislike? Who is your favourite character? What did you find odd? Will you watch the next one?
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Re: The Hobbit (May contain spoilers)

Postby InsaneSeagull » December 15th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Awshhhhh... Hobbit! :') I watched it two days ago and I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it. I read the book (Ok, didn't manage to read whole, but enough to compare to this firtst movie in the trilogy :P ) and must say that, compared to book, much more details were given in the movie. But, ok, that was expected XD . Anyway, in general, great movie! Watching it in 3D, and unforgettable experience! =D

And the dwarfs... Kili! Fili! And almost everyone else... <3

To conclude:
"Far over the Misty Mountains rise
Leave us standing upon the heights
What was before, we see once more
Our kingdom a distant light"
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby SlayerOfLight » December 15th, 2012, 3:16 pm

I also saw it last night, it was awesome. Allthough I still prefer L.O.T.R more to he honest, but it was nice seeing at least some old faces in the movie like Saruman Elrond and Gandalf.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Shadowfax » December 15th, 2012, 5:15 pm

It would make my year if Shadowfax made a swift appearance! Hehe.

I am pleased other people like it, and I have to agree Nick. You'll never beat the LOTR movies. They were a classic and The Two Towers will always be my all time favourite movie =3
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Postby PrincessKiara » December 16th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I watched this at the cinema last night, and it was wonderful! I have read the book (though only once, in Norwegian.. a few years back) but I don`t remember that much of it, so I wasn`t able to pinpoint which scenes and such followed the book and what was changed.

Filli and Killli (Killi especially!) were HOT! Really nice and unexpected eyecandy, while also being enjoyable characters. ;)

My favourite part was defintily Riddles in the dark. Seeing Gandalf and Elrond again was great, and I think the actor who played young Bilbo did a great job. Really looking forward to the next two parts.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Si-Amber » December 17th, 2012, 11:25 am

I'm going to see it on Wednesday, can't wait! :D

I've been re-reading the novel for the first time since I was at school. For a book written in the 1930s for children, it has some rather unpleasant things in it! :D
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby Shadowfax » December 17th, 2012, 11:57 am

Hope you enjoy it Si. Im already planning my second and third trip to the cinema to see it.

It's so nice to have new LOTR stuff to look forward to. Im just as much as a fangirl at 24 as I was at 14 xD
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Postby Si-Amber » December 17th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Third?! If you are paying the extortionate prices to see it at the cinema three times, I expect you to disappear off the face of the planet when it comes out on DVD! :D
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Shadowfax » December 17th, 2012, 11:52 pm

I love Lord of the Rings. It's always been my favourite thing. I will gladly pay three times to see it =D As for the dvd's, I'll actually most likely wait till the special edition dvd's come out with LOTR before I buy.
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Postby Si-Amber » December 17th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Do you think they will do a special edition? Stretching the films from 2 to 3 already, I can't see them having anything left to put in to an extended versions.
Si-Amber

Next

Return to The Den