New Discovery in SOPA, PIPA, ACTA Issue

Re: New Discovery in SOPA, PIPA, ACTA Issue

Postby Buffy » August 25th, 2013, 7:04 am

Update: So it didn't originally pass but it appears they're trying again. There's a petition you can sign against it, because as usual, this could destroy the internet, and this time there's jail time included.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... 3/LMzMVrQF
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby FlipMode » August 25th, 2013, 8:13 am

It will never pass, it is dumb and wrong.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Tsuki » August 25th, 2013, 12:20 pm

They won't do it as it affects people's rights around the world (Last I heard anyway). They can't pass a bill that does that really. There are a lot of people against the idea so I'd be VERY surprised if it passed in all honesty.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby SophieCub » August 25th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Lets hope it doesn't pass but it's very unlikely. I don't even know why they're trying to be honest, lol
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby Buffy » August 25th, 2013, 1:37 pm

LOL same. It's never gonna work out. And what are they gonna do? Throw every fanfiction writer into the slammer?
Buffy
once i present, but then

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby FlipMode » August 25th, 2013, 6:30 pm

[quote="Buffy"]LOL same. It's never gonna work out. And what are they gonna do? Throw every fanfiction writer into the slammer?[/quote]

" this time the streaming of copywritten works is at the forefront of this particular law to be. If a particular stream contains any copywritten material of any sort the uploader and creator of said content can be found guilty and automatically placed in prison for years on felony charges."

What does streaming copyrighted music / movies illegally have to do with fanfiction?
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » August 29th, 2013, 4:38 pm

DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » August 29th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Jeez, people. Since when does the president write laws?

SOPA was drafted by a Republican senator, and most, if not all, of its supporters were other Republicans with wallets tied to the MPAA and RIAA. You can't blame it on the Obama administration.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » August 30th, 2013, 12:57 am

[quote="Regulus"]Jeez, people. Since when does the president write laws?

SOPA was drafted by a Republican senator, and most, if not all, of its supporters were other Republicans with wallets tied to the MPAA and RIAA. You can't blame it on the Obama administration.[/quote]

It's not so much the Obama administration as much as our entire government, which pledged to kill all SOPA and SOPA-like bills only last year, has now reverted to supporting this law. Including Obama and his administration.

Also, I keep reading that he is trying to use executive orders (note: today used commonly as laws not passed through congress) to bring back a section of SOPA that is so poorly written that it can make just streaming videos a felony. Last time I checked, only Obama can currently use executive orders.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... r=Politics
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130 ... sopa.shtml

I should also mention that I saw a claim that this is all mistaken and that Obama is not bringing SOPA back, but it's all a re-post of one tumblr post that only summarized some legislative segment that they didn't bother to post, unlike the second link that I provided, which does provide an example of legislation.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » August 30th, 2013, 1:22 am

Read it. That's not an executive order. That's just the same senators scribbling down more nonsense over their coloring book from last year.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

PreviousNext

Return to The Den