MegaUpload Shut down By The Feds

MegaUpload Shut down By The Feds

Postby FlipMode » January 19th, 2012, 10:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/ ... g-website/

So yeah, the feds have shut down MegaUpload, and charged its owners with all sorts of charges. Sooo I mean, if they already have the ability to do this stuff, what exactly is the point in SOPA? =/

Edit - thanks to Woeler1 for bringing this to my attention.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: MegaUpload Shut down By The Feds

Postby Woeler » January 19th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Sopa died, the creator abandoned the bill. However it seems like they still have some weird rights to do stuff like this. Our freedom is still not safe and that makes me mad
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Noah » January 19th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Sad to hear. Just when this song was starting to get catchy ;)
BTW, the FBI is officially saying this is a coincidence that it took place the day after the SOPA protests.

Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Jiirani » January 19th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Yeaahhh, I thought Sopa did it but apparently not. At least this isn't actually happening. As long as I still have tumblr I'm happy.

tumblr | TLK blog | art by shyre
Jiirani
Hopeless Wanderer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Restoring light to the lighthouse

Nickname(s): Eli, Jii, Lion
Pride Points: 62

Postby Regulus » January 19th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Dangit, MegaUpload was one of the best file transferring sites. No wait times, no CAPTCHAs, and speeds in excess of 1MB/s, even without paying for their premium service.

At least we still have FileSonic and RapidShare. :(
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby WildSimba » January 19th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Though I can give a crap less if they shut down a site like this or not, it worries me about sites like YT, in which users upload illegal content all the time. And if any site like youtube happens to be shut down, it's almost positive, google would be as well. Just because a site has illegal stuff on it, doesn't mean it needs to be shut down, the owner of the site shouldn't really be at fault. With a large site like that, how are they supposed to keep track of everything their users add to it?
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Woeler » January 19th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Sorry fbi, Tango down! Justice.gov
We will strike back
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Postby Noah » January 19th, 2012, 10:57 pm

[quote="WildSimba"]And if any site like youtube happens to be shut down, it's almost positive, google would be as well.[/quote]
I think you may be going overboard a bit. Google isn't full of copyrighted movies like MegaUpload. ;)
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby WildSimba » January 19th, 2012, 11:02 pm

[quote="Noah"][quote="WildSimba"]And if any site like youtube happens to be shut down, it's almost positive, google would be as well.[/quote]
I think you may be going overboard a bit. Google isn't full of copyrighted movies like MegaUpload. ;)[/quote]

It's searches sure as heck can lead to a lot of copyrighted information/illegal links. Ever tried searching something in google image without the safety feature on? It's not a pretty sight.

And the Sopa bill can shut down a site even for linking to a site with illegal content on it. So as far as me going overboard, not really. It's a pretty serious issue.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Woeler » January 19th, 2012, 11:07 pm

[quote="WildSimba"][quote="Noah"][quote="WildSimba"]And if any site like youtube happens to be shut down, it's almost positive, google would be as well.[/quote]
I think you may be going overboard a bit. Google isn't full of copyrighted movies like MegaUpload. ;)[/quote]

It's searches sure as heck can lead to a lot of copyrighted information/illegal links. Ever tried searching something in google image without the safety feature on? It's not a pretty sight.

And the Sopa bill can shut down a site even for linking to a site with illegal content on it. So as far as me going overboard, not really. It's a pretty serious issue.[/quote]

Sopa resigned as far as I know
Woeler

Next

Return to The Den