The SOPA bill

Re: The SOPA bill

Postby SnowyCheetah » January 19th, 2012, 2:07 am

[quote="NEStalgiaFox"]...but the point of SOPA is to take away that legal hearing and to go right into immediate action.[/quote]

^ right. Half of SOPA's evilness comes from its total lack of constitutional rights.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby TimonLotso » January 19th, 2012, 2:39 am

I have to say one final goodbye to you if this site gets censored.

I just wanted to say farewell to everyone on all the sites I've visited. I don't want the internet to die. Besides, who invented this stupid piracy stuff anyway? :umm: So now,I say goodbye to all of you!

TimonLotso
:luau: :luau: :luau:
Hula Timon was purchased on August 5th, 2011.
Hula Pumbaa was purchased on August 25, 2011.
TimonLotso
♥The Most Fabulous Sheep♥

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I shall help you all!

Nickname(s): Queen Lanolin
Pride Points: 2

Postby DGFone » January 19th, 2012, 3:45 am

[quote="TimonLotso"]I have to say one final goodbye to you if this site gets censored.

I just wanted to say farewell to everyone on all the sites I've visited. I don't want the internet to die. Besides, who invented this stupid piracy stuff anyway? :umm: So now,I say goodbye to all of you!

TimonLotso
:luau: :luau: :luau:[/quote]

Relax, Timon. (Now where have I heard that before?..)

This site won't get censored. SOPA is such a breach of many different amendments (the first being the worst offended) that it will never pass. Don't worry about it.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Noah » January 19th, 2012, 4:12 am

[quote="Wrightfan"]Even if it did pass (and it really looks like it won't and this will end up being a super over reaction), it'll be tied up in the supreme court for years.[/quote]
This hype is nothing. Anybody remember the Y2K panic? It was so bad, the government talked about setting up bunkers.

Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Ultra Fox » January 19th, 2012, 5:02 am

SOPA has nothing to do with Y2K.

SOPA is a real threat. It could get passed, and destroy the internet the way it is currently written.

Y2K was a misconception on how computers worked. A computer's clock is not going to make it screw up. I could tell my computer it was made in 1932, and it'd still work.

Looking back at it now, people should feel a bit silly about even believing the Y2K was even possible. I'm surprised more people didn't speak out about how false the rumors were. Computer technicians and nerds should have known this. It's not like 2000 was even that long ago. Computers had been around for decades by then.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Noah » January 19th, 2012, 5:17 am

[quote="NEStalgiaFox"]SOPA has nothing to do with Y2K.

SOPA is a real threat. It could get passed, and destroy the internet the way it is currently written.

Y2K was a misconception on how computers worked. A computer's clock is not going to make it screw up. I could tell my computer it was made in 1932, and it'd still work.

Looking back at it now, people should feel a bit silly about even believing the Y2K was even possible. I'm surprised more people didn't speak out about how false the rumors were. Computer technicians and nerds should have known this. It's not like 2000 was even that long ago. Computers had been around for decades by then.[/quote]

When did I ever say that SOPA was related to Y2K? :/

I think you need to read that post a little better. I wasn't talking about the actual bill. I was talking about the hype. And don't think you understand how bad that was either. Take a look at that article I posted. That was eight months before the scheduled timing and people were already that worried. SOPA is a cake walk, again not talking about the actual bill.

Also about Y2K, the problem wasn't as simple as the computer's clock. Read this quote from the United States Deputy Secretary of Defense. "The Y2K problem is the electronic equivalent of the El Niño and there will be nasty surprises around the globe." Keyword is "surprises". People didn't know what would happen.
Siggy by Me

Noah

Only the lonely can play

Postby Ultra Fox » January 19th, 2012, 5:20 am

I WAS also talking about the hype. I think SOPA deserves more worry than Y2K ever did. But that's just my personal opinion.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby KentuckyWildcat » January 19th, 2012, 5:34 am

The good news is that Obama is already more or less promising to veto if this thing does happen to pass. Then, even if he went back on his word, the court challenges would begin. It's good to raise awareness of why this should be shot down, but it's not panic time yet.

As a side note, I agree with Noah about the Y2K paranoia being far worse. While, sites like Google being shut down would be a set-back we should fight against, people literally thought Y2K was going to shut down the world.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
KentuckyWildcat
Mother don't you cry

Hell don't need me

Pride Points: 7

Postby Noah » January 19th, 2012, 5:45 am

[quote="KentuckyWildcat"]The good news is that Obama is already more or less promising to veto if this thing does happen to pass. Then, even if he went back on his word, the court challenges would begin. It's good to raise awareness of why this should be shot down, but it's not panic time yet.[/quote]
Obama wouldn't risk the public backlash, especially with this being an election year. He'll stick to it and the bill will be as good as dead.

[quote="KentuckyWildcat"]As a side note, I agree with Noah about the Y2K paranoia being far worse. While, sites like Google being shut down would be a set-back we should fight against, people literally thought Y2K was going to shut down the world.[/quote]
So true. People thought that hundreds might die. Nobody is going to die because their video got removed from Youtube :P
Siggy by Me

Noah

Only the lonely can play

Postby Ultra Fox » January 19th, 2012, 5:47 am

[quote="Noah"]So true. People thought that hundreds might die. Nobody is going to die because their video got removed from Youtube :P[/quote]
But there was no reason to think that many would die. The threat was never there. It was simply a scare that got too out of hand.

None would die. But many could lose their jobs and hobbies if SOPA gets passed.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Den