Does music really improve the quality of your work?

Re: Does music really improve the quality of your work?

Postby Kal » August 13th, 2013, 2:49 am

[quote="Regulus"]When I write, I like to listen to whatever fits the scene, and at low volume so it's more like ambient noise. It's only distracting if it's loud.[/quote]

This. My music inspires me, and is a sensibly-non-distracting choice song-wise. The songs seem to make me feel quite emotionally aware... good for understanding the characters.
The Quote Hall Of Fame: show
Ou - "Ou iz awezome."
Roku - "Roku is awesome."
Ou - "Kal is awesome."
*Kal bursts into tears of unbridled joy*
The Admiral - "What am I reading?"
Kal
tjúúúú

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The fox around these parts.

Pride Points: 28

Postby Regulus » August 13th, 2013, 3:42 am

[quote="Kiburi"]My sister did a sort of "mini-study"of this for a school assignment a few years back.

She played my least favorite genre of music, and gave me sheets of math problems to do, and had a time limit.
Then, she let me try without any music, and then with music of my choosing.
Guess what?
I got more problems done when I listened to music of my choosing than without it.

So, I believe that it does.[/quote]

You have to remember, though, there are many different types of thinking. Arithmetic problems require a completely different type of thinking (algorithmic) than open-ended real-life problems (heuristic). There's also creative thinking (such as planning a story), which I find music to be essential for.

For reading, in contrast, I find most music to be a distraction. If someone is talking, I can't hear the voice in my head - which essentially means I can't read. I can only read in silence, or with filterable ambient noise.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » August 13th, 2013, 1:45 pm

I find music helpful for planning stories actually, just not for the nitty-gritty stuff a.k.a long periods of writing.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby FlipMode » August 13th, 2013, 11:59 pm

It can be good for inspiration but not really when it comes to actually doing the thing you have been inspired to do. (Unless you listen to Bob Marley and get inspired to smoke pot in which case it's great!)
Like I don't listen to music when I write but I find myself more likely to write after I have been listening to music.

Basically I don't think it improves the quality of work but it improves your overall quality of life. I believe that music is universal and is meant to bring people together in a sense.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Timon4life » August 22nd, 2013, 3:26 am

I find listening to music improves the quality of my driving :D
"when the world turns its back on you, you turn your back on the world" -Timon
Timon4life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Timon the great » August 23rd, 2013, 12:16 am

[quote="Misiziri"]When listening to music, is work easier to complete? Does it help you focus? For me, it doesn't help as I get too engrossed in whatever song and end up not wanting to do my work. Apparently, the answer depends on the person. Does it help you out, or do you work in the quiet?[/quote]
From what I've read when it comes to listening to music while doing work, it should be music that motivates you and doesn't get you too plugged into it to the point that you're jamming to it.

Mild music like a relaxation or easy-listening tune and not something really emotional, has helped me to keep focus on whatever I'm doing. Productive, that is. Now when it comes to directly listening to music while not working, well that is a whole different story. Image
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Previous

Return to The Den