[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - Pride of Exiles — My Lion King Forum

Pride of Exiles

Re: Pride of Exiles

Postby Gemini » July 11th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Skauti stiffened. Had anything happened to his pride? No, unfortunately. In fact, they prospered quite well, staying strong and healthy atop their moral foundations of might-makes-right and brutal, conquistador-esque tactics. They didn't care if they harassed the other, smaller prides around them, extorting them for food and protection. That was just the way they lived. In a way, he was lucky that he could escape.

But no, nothing had happened to his pride. Only to him.

Luckily, he didn't have time to answer her, because she was promptly distracted by the appearance of her mate and sister-in-law. There was quite a bit of hugging and blubbering and crying, and Skauti tried to distance himself, feeling uncomfortable and somewhat alienated from the rest of the goings-on there. His puzzled expression befit his adequately frazzled emotive state.

"Listen," he spoke softly, more to Rav than anyone else. "... I think I'm going to go hunt something. The wounded lioness will probably need something to eat, and I..." he trailed off, "I need some time to think about all this."

The younger male felt tense, hoping the older lion would understand his sentiment and not castigate or beat him severely for it. Alas, Rav didn't seem like that type of lion... but if the desert had taught him anything, it was that, no matter how gallant and sporting they seemed, most lions were brutal monsters underneath, simply waiting for an excuse to be unleashed. It was for this reason, brought into being by the duplicitous lions of his old pride, that lead him to be so wary and distrusting. As it was, he was deeply afraid of Rav and Kaith on a visceral level. Though he was stuck into accompanying them across the pass, he still decided that it would be for the best if he spent some time away from them...

He awaited Rav's reaction out of deference to his leadership, but a strong part of him was already set on going whether he approved it or not.
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Ravvij » July 12th, 2014, 1:17 am

Rav nuzzled Laini as she did to him. He looked at her and smiled a very unsure smile. He was doubting himeself. If only three lions can to this to a Pride... What chance do I have?
"Rav." Kaith approached him gracefully, "I think it would be wise if we didn't take on these invaders all at the same time. We should ambush them one-on-one and deal with them that way."
"I think you're right. I'm pretty sure I can't take one two males at the same time if they're more experienced than I am."
"Then let us hope that they aren't." she reassured him.
"Skauti? I'd like you to remain here with Zuyu and the lioness cub while the rest of us deal with this problem. But, if you'd like to be more active in this endeavor, I could use your help scouting and baiting."
The plans and ideas that came into Rav's mind were seemingly endless. Each one a new thought or idea about how to go about taking Zuyu's Pride, because, as it was, He would now be the invader and That somewhat unsettled him. Every idea, every plan, every risk he could think of was racing through his mind as he weighed the situation.
Kaith looked over to Laini and whispered, "You know that if we succeed and Rav is made King of Zuyu's Pride he'll have many potential mates. Most of them will stop at nothing to take a place at his side." Her words were a mix of teasing and warning. The look on Laini's face was worth it to her though. Kaith loved making others uncomfortable.
"What will you do once you've taken our Pride?" Zuyu asked. He words hinted at worry and concern, but also hope... hope that Rav would be the kind of lion that would do what needed to be done in order for her Pride to live happily. She looked at Makuti and back to Rav. She seemed to have more concerns but didn't know how to voice them.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Fear fear.

Nickname(s): Rav, Ravvij
Pride Points: 2

Postby TheWhistlerify » July 12th, 2014, 5:42 am

Part of Laini had expected Rav to ask her to stay behind as well, but she was glad that he didn't. Even if her head was screaming at her to not do something as dangerous as what they were all planning to do, she wanted to be there for Rav and help him out however way she could. Just how much a lioness like her could do to assist him, though, she wasn't sure. That did not make her any less determined, however.

Kaith, comment did catch her off guard but, in a way, she'd also seen it coming. That remark had been bound to come sooner or later from the older lioness. Laini knew what Rav's feelings for her were. Since his mother had promised to help her with her process of learning and maturing, her facial expression which Kaith found so amusing didn't stay on her face for very long. As long as the older lioness kept that promise and gave her a fair chance, Laini felt like she would be able to be okay.

Muroki caught the somewhat worried glance Zuyu threw in his direction as she voiced her worries to Rav. It was a concern they both shared. Getting rid of those 3 brutes had to be done, there was no doubt about that, but what would happen afterwards? He gave his mate a small, reassuring smiled, once again licking the top if her head in a gentle, but protective gesture, before turning his attention to the Tsavo lion the two of them who they were waiting to get an answer from.

He has never been too much of an ambitious lion - Zuyu knew that. Living a normal, peaceful life alongside the lioness he loved would be more than enough for him. The idea of power didn't appeal to him like it did to most males. He also knew next to nothing about leading a pride to begin with, but anything would be better than replacing 3 tyrants with another one... However he still didn't know what Rav's intentions were and so he silently waited to hear them.
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Postby Gemini » July 13th, 2014, 4:54 am

Skauti looked at Rav, then back at the lions from the other pride, who were gathered quite closely together. He then pressed his lips into a thin line as he considered the leader of the group. As much as he wanted to be alone, there might be danger lurking, either in the form of more hyenas or foreign male attackers. It couldn't hurt to tag along, he supposed - it was preferable to the option of staying back with the other lions.

So he nodded assent. It wasn't exactly what he had in mind, but he could deal with it.

Only a few more days, hopefully... he reminded himself, thinking of the many fertile lands that lay beyond those towering peaks. If Rav could stop these tyrannical males, then, ideally, the territories would once again be safe to live in for a time. And then, after that...

He paused that mental train, not knowing where he would go after he tired of living there... assuming he was still alive at that point. Alas, he couldn't do much but hope that Rav was able to defeat these intruders. Because, now that he thought about it... he and his mother had had a point. As long as the area was under the reign of these ruffians, there was a high chance that he could be found, beaten, and killed. Their malicious intentions would prove a hindrance, whereas, under someone like Rav...

The young male sighed. He hated the idea of involving himself in politics, but then, if the other male wanted to control this pride, it would make the lands safer to travel in. Rav seemed like he needed all the help he could get for a successful takeover, and though he had plenty of assistance already, perhaps this would be Skauti's chance to prove that he really was a capable individual, and not just a kitten...

In the end, after all, he supposed he owed his help in at least some way. A life for a life... and then he could continue on his unforeseen path.

"Alright," he consented, "I'll go with you, Rav."
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Postby Ravvij » July 13th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Rav looked to Zuyu and Muroki, "I will do whatever is needed to help you and your pride survive. I hope to do whatever is needed to help you live peacefully after this event."
Zuyu was satisfied with his answer. He really did have the bearings of a leader, she thought.
"Okay. Thank you Skauti." Rav smiled, He then discussed with Muroki and Zuyu where they might hide Zuyu and Marini for the time being. Eventually they decided on a place in near the crevices a bit further up the mountain's path. Zuyu didn't like the idea of walking at the moment but she wasn't willing to sit out in the open in her weakened condition. Zuyu took Marini with her and they walked to their safe place, while the other prepared for their next move.
Kaith discussed with Rav, at great length, the art of fighting another lion. She even discussed with him how to fight two if he so ended up in that situation.
"The real problem is that you'll have to fight the new leader of this Pride on your own. If you're to become it's king... you HAVE to fight him yourself. Don't hold back, use any trick nessessary, and kill him."
Rav was shocked. This was the first time he'd been told to kill anything or anyone that wasn't pray. "Do I really have to?"
"Yes. If you don't? They'll come back or search you out and kill you instead. These males are half crazed and dangerous. Too dangerous to set free. As such, as the future king, you have to pass judgement on criminals. This will just be the first time you'll have to do such a thing. I can promise you." Kaith said to him. Her tone was dark and foreboding. Rav didn't like the fact that he would have to pass judgement on someone he didn't know. His unrest within didn't seem to be getting any better. Steeling himself, Rav looked to Muroki again, "Do you know where we might find one of the invaders right now?"
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Fear fear.

Postby TheWhistlerify » July 13th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Muroki also liked Rav's answer. He barely knew this Tsavo lion, but there was no way he could possibly be worse than the 3 brutes who'd taken over his homeland. As much as he hated the idea of leaving his mate and his little sister behind, he knew that Rav could use his knowledge of the pride's territory. Also, another lion to help fight would definitely be of use and Muroki was more than willing to fight in order to save his pride rather than let others do it for him while he hid.

"I know the area where the pride resides well." he said with a slow nod of his head. "There are certain places where we might find one of them alone like the various waterholes." He hasn't seen the 3 before and didn't know which one was the leader. But he believed they should still target them one at a time. If they happened to catch the leader then Rav would fight him and if not then all of them would dispose of the lion together. Either way, it was the less risky option.

Laini meanwhile stood by and listened as the two males planned things out. She'd heard Kaith and knew that Rav would have to battle one of those 3 lions alone. She didn't like that but she knew there was no other way. At least she could try to help out against the other two...

---

Marini meanwhile settled down next to her sister in law inside their hiding place. The adolescent was obviously worried sick about what her brother was about to do. "Will Muroki be okay, Zuyu?" she asked, looking to the adult next to her for comfort and reassurance. She knew how much Muroki and Zuyu loved each other.
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Postby Gemini » July 14th, 2014, 6:56 am

Skauti stood there, looking rather standoffish, but not saying anything. He still didn't feel like he had much of a place in this group, so he refrained from saying anything. He waited, feeling somewhat impatient, as Rav and his mother discussed what he would have to do, how he would have to fight...

He overheard a part of their conversation. Something about how the male would have to fight the leader of the pride on his own. It didn't make much sense to Skauti - why not take advantage of their numbers and their collective strength? - but he knew that it was their affair and, as it was, he still did not want to become too embroiled in this conflict.

The young lion paced until Rav was finished talking - not just to his mother, but to the ragtag survivors of the ambushed pride. As it was, they looked like little more than scared, wounded little kittens, fortunate simply to have made it out alive. A part of him pitied them. But another part of him regarded them with something of a blind eye.

They were the cause of all this. He would do what needed to be done and help his group, fine, but they had done little but make things more complicated. For now, though, he stilled his tongue. They had gone through enough, and the last thing they would want to hear, he knew, was his complaints. For now, at least, he would simply have to play along.

Rav instructed them to stay put, which was the logical choice, given their condition. Finally he seemed ready to leave. Granted, Skauti wasn't sure exactly what he'd meant by 'baiting and scouting', and didn't know exactly what he wanted, but still, he figured it was better to be off doing that, rather than being confined with the stuffy group of lionesses.

"So, where are we going to go first, Rav?" He queried, his tail flicking with something resembling eagerness. The young lion was indeed unable to hide his enthusiasm at distancing himself from a majority of the group, all of whom seemed to be much bigger than him... save for the young adolescent lioness.

"Are we heading north?"
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Postby Ravvij » July 14th, 2014, 2:22 pm

"Skauti... I need you to go scout ahead. You're smaller and less likely to be seen. We're going to the watering hole and I need you to tell me if there is another lion, or two or more, at that water hole." Rav explained that he was going to ambush any one of the lions that might be at the watering hole. It would help if Skauti could tell him if anyone was there. If no one was around the water hole then they could set a trap, but if there was a lion there, or more than one, then they would either attack or wait for fewer enemies.

"He'll be fine, Rini. You'll see. We'll go home and everything will be fine again soon." she said, comforting the young lioness.

Kaith walked alongside her son as they all made their way quickly and quietly to the water hole. She kept alert the entire time. Anyhting that moved and many things that didn't she took note of. A good many places she found while scanning their surroundings would make good hunting spots if they were hunting pray, but, alas, they were hunting tyrants. It was such a waste.
It didn't take very long before they all reached a hiding place very near the small lake, Muroki and Zuyu's watering hole. It had a number of small hiding places that could work for and against them. Kaith took note of which ones would harm them most and made it a point to tell Rav about them. He noticed them as well. They needed to trap one of the other outsiders in a place very much like where he'd saved Skauit.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Fear fear.

Postby TheWhistlerify » July 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Marini, while finding some comfort in the words of her sister in law, felt like she would fully calm down only when she would see Muroki again. "Um... I know I always used to tease the two of you when I was younger and you two started seeing each other, but I always thought of you as an older sister... And Muroki loves you... I hope we really do go back home together, as a family..."

---

While Muroki had said that there were plenty of waterholes in his pride's territory, he actually led them all to a very specific one. "This water source is not only the largest around but also the one closest to the den our pride resides in." he explained to Rav and Kaith quietly. "When one of these bastards will get thirsty, he'll almost certainly come here." The various hiding places by the waterhole made it an even better spot for an ambush.

As the five of them waited, Laini found herself feeling a little nervous. This was going to be dangerous. There were always the chances of all three outsiders coming to the waterhole together and somehow discovering her and the others... She remembered Kaith's lesson; that the way that was the least dangerous for the entire group was the best way - even at the risk of her own life. All of a sudden, she got an idea.

"I think I know how to increase the odds of getting them by surprise." she said, looking at Rav and the rest of her companions. "We're dealing with three murderous, most likely abusive males." continued the younger lioness. "I don't think they'll be able to not get distracted by a fragile looking young lioness who's weak because she hasn't had any food or water for a few days, especially if she appears to be completely trusting of any stranger who might be able to help her..." She paused, giving them a few moments to catch her drift. "Am I really suggesting this?" she asked herself.
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Good source of potassium

Postby Gemini » July 15th, 2014, 6:05 am

Skauti's ears pricked at the opportunity to do something of importance. He nodded and followed the lead of the other, foreign lion... but found that he couldn't suppress a confident smirk once Rav told him what he wanted him to do.

"I can handle this... they didn't name me 'scout' for nothing, after all..." he trailed off, before adding, rather acerbically: "... about the only thing my old pride got right..."

His tail flicked and he nodded at the group behind him, who were were all huddled together in a little alcove and looked very eager as he met each of their gazes.

"I'll be back soon."

And with that he was off, prepared to do what he was good at. He sped down the slope of a hill, keeping in mind the direction the other lion had pointed in to direct him to the waterhole. The young, dark male loped for a few paces before slowing and scanning his surroundings, making sure that nobody and nothing of importance was around.

He looked behind him, and saw that the hiding spot the group had used was already out of sight, the grotto's surface indistinguishable from the dusty surface of the hill he had descended. And then, with no concealed amount of determination, he soldiered forward, searching for a very particular something. The lion rooted around for several moments, and then...

Aha! There it was. Skauti approached with caution and then sniffed the plant he had found. Perfect. Grabbing it with his teeth, he pulled it up out of the ground and set it down, before taking a moment and rolling in it, covering his normally sleek, groomed fur with a layer of dust and musty odor. As much as he hated it, he knew that it would help him blend in by diluting his natural scent. If the wind changed direction and was no longer in his favor, then this would be of paramount importance. Too many tales circulated the desert of lions who were too careless, and were killed by unknown intruders because their scent had wafted through a gentle breeze that they hadn't even known about...

Thus, he was determined not to let the same happen to him, and licked the first digit of his paw. He paused for a moment, lifting it up, feeling the slight ripple of the wind against his saliva as the gust quickly cooled his skin.

Perfect. The wind was in his favor. He crept a little to the right, not moving further down the hill because he was hoping to use his elevation as an advantage. He didn't blend in so well with the foliage, though the dirt made it better, not to mention that he was still quite far away.

The young lion lifted his nose to the breeze, still keeping his eyes focused on the surroundings. Hmm... he smelled something.

He dropped down and snaked through the grass, his belly almost kissing the ground. Slowly but surely, he slid forwards a bit more, still not wanting to approach the waterhole too close, at least before he was sure the way was safe.

Two big rocks formed a 'V', making it hard for him to see far beyond the bottom of the hill... but suddenly he was at just the right angle to see the water hole - a dappled, turquoise expanse of glimmering water that shone in the sun, as though stocked to the brim with schools of silvery fish. It reminded him, very vaguely, of the oases that dotted the desert at intervals. Surely enough, he could see the spotted forms of giraffes, bending their long necks down to drink... as well as hippopotami, ostriches, gazelles, gerenuks, zebra...

And... he could smell them... but he couldn't see them yet. Lions. More than one. He grimaced and moved forwards a bit more, the grass crumpling around his lithe figure as it tunneled through the increasingly-thick layer of vegetation. Cautiously, he craned his head upwards to see, hoping to catch a glimpse of one of these lions. Perhaps the others he smelled were lionesses...

His eyes poked above the grass, two narrowed yellow orbs honing in on their targets. But what he noticed both surprised and disappointed him, for it seemed as though Rav's goal was suddenly harder than they had thought. What he saw...

... was that all three males - and there was no mistaking them, as big as they were and as full as their manes were - had decided to drink at the waterhole together. He noticed them stay close by each other, demonstrating that they were, perhaps, smarter than Rav and his mother had thought, and more wily than Muroki, Marini, and Zuyu had given them credit for...

The trio bent down, their muzzles lapping at the water with perfect synchronization. Yes, this would be harder than expected. And suddenly he was bit with the urge, barely suppressible, to run as fast as he could up the hill and return. As it was, he could barely keep his fidgeting to himself.

He had to tell Rav!
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

PreviousNext

Return to Lion King Roleplaying